Printing server/freenas ram reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMonster95

Cadet
Hello! I'm new to FreeNAS, have about a year's experience off-and-on with FreeBSD, dabbled in Linux, and have to use Windows on a regular basis. (hate windows).

Anyways, I'm trying to set up a printer server. I am following the instructions documented here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1332

I am running FreeNAS 8.2 i386 on an old Dell Optiplex with one hard drive (the operating system is running off of a flash drive). In FreeNAS, because most of it is stored in the RAM at boot, I know that it 'resets' itself so-to-speak after each powerdown, and it pulls files from /conf on launch. In this way I'm able to edit anything in /etc by first editing the files in /conf/base/etc. However, now I have to edit a file in /usr/local/etc and I don't know if there's a configuration directory that I can use, or if I need to write a shell script to launch at startup to create these files, or what. Does anyone know the directory (if there is one?)

Also, there is an easier way to install printing software on FreeNAS? There doesn't seem to be a third-party plugin for the jail anywhere. (I've already installed the plugin jail for fun, but it's inactive right now). Normally I would use a network printer separate from the box, but I don't have one so I'm having to use one with a usb cable.

Thanks in advance!
- Caleb

Status
Not open for further replies.