Possilbe to use Jail/Plugins for Hardware Configuration Utilities (HP ACU CLI utils?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadz

Dabbler
I have a HP server with a HP Smart Array P800 Controller card which does not do pass-through. As such I am either stuck with creating Raid0 logical drives for each physical drive, or using the hardware Raid and losing out on being able to use ZFS.

If I were to want to keep ZFS around, then I will need a way to replace a failed drive, which will either involve rebooting to get into the controllers configuration, or using http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/hpacucli/

My question is, since the plugins run in a jail, is the hpaculcli even a candidate for a plugin? Will it have access to the hardware? I don't want to have to re-boot the server in the case of a hardware failure.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Re: Possilbe to use Jail/Plugins for Hardware Configuration Utilities (HP ACU CLI uti

1. I don't think that the CLI will work in the jail.

2. Trying to use a hardware RAID with ZFS = big big mistake. You lose out on a lot of error warnings, SMART feedback and SMART testing, etc.

3. Personally, if your array will be bigger than 3 drives or greater than 9TB I wouldn't go with UFS and a hardware RAID.

If I were in your shoes I'd look at getting a controller that will work with ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.