Portable FreeNAS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickH

Explorer
I recently completed a project for a client that involved a new FreeNAS build, and I wanted to share it here.

My client had need for a portable NAS device with 10+ TB of capacity, encryption capability, and the ability to copy large quantities of image-based data very quickly. They had been using a Cypertex appliance (basically a rebranded QNAP device with encryption built into the firmware) that they had spent almost $8k on that just wasn't meeting performance expectations. The datasets they were moving were comprised of millions of small files (scanned images) that averaged less than 60kb each. We created a 'dummy' dataset for testing that was 10 TB in size and contained approximately 50 million files (moving this many small files over a network is pretty much a worst-case usage scenario). Using their existing approach with the Ciphertex appliance took over 60 hours to move the 10 TB dataset on/off the box.

The first thing we did to improve performance was to change transfer methods from CIFS to ISCSI - using the software ISCSI initiator built into Windows to connect to a 12TB NTFS formatted target - this brought the transfer time down to 38 hours.

Our next approach involved replacing the firmware on the Ciphertex/QNAP with FreeNAS (booting from an external USB drive). The Ciphertex/QNAP appliance included a dual port 10GbE Base-T card as well as a single port 10GbE SFP+ card (along with 4 1GbE adapters on the motherboard) - the 10GbE Base-T adapter turned out to be Intel-based and was recognized by FreeNAS with no issues; however, we did have to swap the SFP+ adapter to a single port Chelsio card. We then set up the same ISCSI configuration and ran the test again - this reduced our transfer time to 25 hours (the only hardware change at this point was the SFP+ NIC). - This is a huge testament to the changes that have been implemented within FreeNAS over the past few years that address ISCSI performance!

Once we knew that FreeNAS was a truly viable option for this usage case, we set out to build the best portable FreeNAS appliance we could. The build consisted of the components below and came in at just over $4k (roughly half of what the Ciphertex appliance had run)

Case:
My client was very concerned with the image they were portraying when they walked into their customer's office and did not want an appliance that looked 'hacked together'. To address this we ended up going with a U-NAS NSC-800 case and added a billet aluminum handle from MNPCTech to make it easier to lift out of the Pelican case used for shipping.

Motherboard/Processor:
When searching for a Mini-ITX motherboard to use in the case I was originally looking for something with a high SATA-port count as I was planning on using the one available PCI-e port for a 10GbE adapter; however, in my search I found the Gigabyte MB10-DS3 which includes 2 on-board 10GbE SFP+ ports, 2 1GbE ports, and a dedicated management/IPMI port. This comes with a non-removable Intel Xeon D-1541 processor (8 cores / 16 threads) and supports DDR4 ECC Ram. We were then able to add a SAS/SATA HBA to the x16 PCI-e slot.

RAM:
I maxed out the motherboard with 128GB of DDR4 ECC RAM using a Kingston (4x32GB) Kit

HBA:
Every FreeNAS server I run in production uses a HBA based on the LSI 2008 chip - for this build I grabbed a LSI 9240-8i (IBM M1015) off of eBay and crossflashed the P20 IT firmware. (NOTE: I typically do NOT install the HBA BIOS when I go through the crossflash procedure - this reduces the boot time of my servers by 30 seconds or more)

Hard Drives:
For the main storage drives I went with 8x Western Digital Se 5TB drives. The write performance of these drives is higher than most any other 7.2k SATA drive of any capacity out there. Since I built the appliance, the price of these drives seems to have gone up, and I don't think the small performance gain is worth it - if I were building again I would probably go with HGST drives.

Cache:
I experimented with using Intel SSD DC S3700 drives as LOG/L2ARC connected directly to the available SATA 3.0 ports on the motherboard, but for the intended usage I didn't see any performance gains whatsoever and due to difficulties fitting them in the case I ultimately did not include them on the final build. The NSC-800 case includes a couple brackets for mounting 2.5" drives internally, but they overlapped with the placement of the PCI-e HBA - I could have overcome the issues with some different sized standoffs, but didn't feel that the trouble was worth it in this case as the 128 GB of RAM and corresponding primary ARC size of over 100 GB provided plenty of performance. If I were using this device for hosting VM's or something else that wasn't so much of a sequential write I would have probably taken the extra time to fit it all in.

Boot Drive:
I typically use SATA-DOM drives for boot in my FreeNAS servers (and the Gigabyte motherboard has a power connector for a SATA-DOM), but for this build I ended up choosing to use a USB drive (San Disk Cruiser Fit 32GB). This was done primarily to increase security - the zpool is encrypted so that data cannot be accessed if something were to happen during shipping, by removing the boot drive and shipping it separately (or just carrying it) it's virtually impossible for anyone to access the data on the device.​

With this new FreeNAS appliance (nicknamed 'The Beast') assembled and tested I set up the same ISCSI configuration and re-ran the test. Transfer time was now down to 21 Hours! and my client was thrilled! Testing with larger test files and ISCSI multipathing I saw transfer speeds as high as 1,170 MiB/sec! The only thing the Ciphertex/QNAP appliance has over the new FreeNAS box are the 10GbE Base-T ports - which in my experience, just aren't used all that much. Pretty much any source system with 10GbE capabilities is going to be SFP+ based.

Build Sheet:
Case - U-NAS NSC-800
Motherboard/Proc - Gigabyte MB10-DS3
RAM - Kingston ValueRAM 128GB DDR4
Boot Drive - San Disk Cruiser Fit 32GB
Storage Drives - WD Se 5TB
HBA - IBM M1015
Carry Handle - MNPCTech Silver Billet Grooved Handle

Pictures:
IMG_20161028_150804.jpg IMG_20161028_150823.jpg IMG_20161028_150839.jpg IMG_20161028_150848.jpg

Final Thoughts:
I know this build isn't for everyone, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out! We exceeded all of the performance requirements my client had at a price that was significantly less than the commercially available products. In the end I was actually kind of sad to have to turn the box over to my client, and I'm currently trying to make up an excuses as to why I need to build another one for myself... If I do get to build another, one I think the only thing I would change are the hard drives - the WD Se Drives have skyrocketed in price since I put this together, and I belive that HGST drives would provide similar performance at a much better value.

Let me know your thoughts....

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This was done primarily to increase security - the zpool is encrypted so that data cannot be accessed if something were to happen during shipping, by removing the boot drive and shipping it separately (or just carrying it) it's virtually impossible for anyone to access the data on the device.
Major red flag right there. FreeNAS only stores the decryption keys temporarily, until they're securely backed up. Keeping them on the boot device will result in the loss of all data.
In normal operation, the pool must be manually unlocked after every boot.
This is a huge testament to the changes that have been implemented within FreeNAS over the past few years that address ISCSI performance!
Did you test SMB with FreeNAS? Block storage is best avoided whenever possible, with CoW filesystems.

RickH

Explorer
Major red flag right there. FreeNAS only stores the decryption keys temporarily, until they're securely backed up. Keeping them on the boot device will result in the loss of all data.
In normal operation, the pool must be manually unlocked after every boot.

Did you test SMB with FreeNAS? Block storage is best avoided whenever possible, with CoW filesystems.

Keys are backed up separately (first thing I did after creating the pool). But I'm not sure what you mean - I performed multiple tests of powering down the system, removing the boot drive, etc... and all worked perfectly. I even made a clone of the usb drive used to boot the system and was able to access the pool with that...

I did test SMB and the performance was terrible! The limitations of ISCSI on a copy-on-write file system don't really come into play here - the device is used to pull data from the source system, taken to a central office, and then transferred to another server. The zpool is then removed and re-created (with new encryption keys) to prepare for it's next use - as the data isn't really modified while it's on the device, none of the pool fragmentation issues typically associated with bock on CoW are a problem.

This case aside, I run multiple FreeNAS servers in production that act as ISCSI storage targets for ESXi hosts. While it's true that ZFS's CoW nature isn't ideally suited to block level ISCSI storage, most of the limitations can be mitigated with large ARC and L2ARC caches (most of my FreeNAS servers have 256 GB of RAM and an additional 500GB - 1 TB ssd backed L2ARC) and keeping pool utilization under 60%. I do still see some fragmentation issues so my process is whenever a pool becomes more than 20% fragmented I use vMotion to migrate the VM's to one of my other ESXi datastores and drop/recreate the pool and iscsi targets - I've been using FreeNAS for ISCSI for around 30 months and have 6 storage servers; I've only had to do this on 2 of the servers that back SQL databases (both happened around the 20 month mark). While this is a bit of a pain, it's still far superior to spending the money that vendors want for a comparable SAN...

John Doe

Guru
Nice build! I was looking for a long time for mITX board with SFP+ ethernet and detachable CPU, but so far with no results :/ What PSU did you use for that Xeon?

RickH

Explorer
Nice build! I was looking for a long time for mITX board with SFP+ ethernet and detachable CPU, but so far with no results :/ What PSU did you use for that Xeon?

I purchased the case from U-NAS with one of their 400w power supplies pre-installed. The PS is pretty quiet and I didn't have any issues during a 4 hour 'stress test' I ran during burn-in. I've read that there are several other 1U power supplies that will fit in the case, but most people had a slight issue with the depth of the 3rd party PS - they all fit, but they weren't able to use the front mounting holes (the U-NAS PS has an angle bracket on the internal end of the PS so it's supported at both ends instead of 'floating' off of the rear panel only). Because this unit was going to be moved frequently I felt the extra support was important. I've also found most 1U supplies to be extremely noisy and the U-NAS version had good reviews.

U-NAS actually offers 2 supplies on their website - a 360w unit that's listed as 'Super-Quiet' and the 400w one I got. For some reason, the 400w is actually a little cheaper and while I can't directly compare the noise output of the two units, I feel the 400w one is perfectly acceptable for any use - I had the appliance running on the credenza in my office during several of the tests and while I could occasionally hear the drives, I don't think the PS ever contributed any significant noise.

As a side note, the case came pretty complete - apart from the PS, the backplane was installed and wired with 2 Mini-SAS SFF-8087 breakout cables that plugged directly into the M1015, a fan splitter cable so that both of the rear fans could be plugged into a single port, a PCI-e x16 ribbon cable for connecting the HBA (the placement within the case means it doesn't actually plug directly into the MB), 2 mounting brackets for internal 2.5 drives, and all the misc screws for mounting everything (including the drvies) - all of these items are listed separately on U-NAS's website, but as I ordered a case w/ power supply they threw them all in for free. If you're not planning on using the SFF-8087 breakout cables, you'll have to partly disassemble the back of the case in order to plug in standard SATA cables, and from what I've read this can be quite a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.