Pool visible via CLI but not in the GUI. GUI import says an error occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This right here:

upload_2018-6-13_12-46-30.png

That looks like a memory problem. When you add to that the other errors, I would say that there is still something wrong.
We can't say definitively if it is the system board, CPU or RAM because it could be a defect in any of the three.
The next logical step, if it were me, would be to get some different memory to test with. If the system board and CPU work with a different memory module, you can make the assumption that they are alright and the whole problem was in that stick of RAM.

Were I in your situation, I would be talking to my wife about the budget to see if there was a way to afford some parts.
Good luck.

Shoop83

Dabbler
The next logical step, if it were me, would be to get some different memory to test with.
Working on obtaining good RAM; likely going to take a few days.
250px-TheOuterLimits-Screenshot-old.jpg

Please stand by...

Shoop83

Dabbler
...a way to afford some parts.
Well... no one I know seems to have any spare RAM I can borrow. Looking at the price of RAM, and with an intent to upgrade to an ECC capable system in the future, I might as well just figure out how to afford an upgrade now while things are broken; it's likely to save me money in the long run. The board and the RAM you linked earlier seem like solid choices. Is there better for similar-ish money that you would suggest I consider? (I found the RAM on newegg for $10 less, looks like the same seller.)

Shoop83

Dabbler
Good luck.
OK, so following your advice I've made some changes to the computer. I have now:

Installed
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLH-F
Memory: 16GB 2x8GB MEMORY RAM Compatible with Supermicro X10XLL-F, X10SLL+-F, X10SLH-F Motherboard by CMS B89

Reused
Processor: Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150
OS HDD: Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB
Storage HDD: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

I've got it set up so I can IPMI in and manage the computer, that's really handy! Thanks for sharing that possibility.

Ran MemTest 86+ 5.01 for nearly 79 hours completing 28 passes with zero errors.
Ran Breakin Version 4.26.1-b41 for an hour with zero errors.

Despite all that, I still get hit with the same panic when I attempt to import my zpool from the GUI. I've attempted to import it right away with the wizard and tried without the wizard, and I've tried importing my old configuration that worked before this all went to hell. It dies here:

W1QTeEv.jpg

I noticed that there's a critical error in my boot SSD, zpool status freenas-boot illuminated some chksum errors in the boot drive. I'll be replacing the SSD and trying again but at this point I don't think that's the root of this issue.

I understand if everyone wants to just throw up their hands and say "IDK, it's borked." But I'm stubborn and will try to track down every possibility until it is determined it is well and truly borked and my data is gone.

Any thoughts on which tests or commands to run to further figure this thing out?

Status
Not open for further replies.