Pool visible via CLI but not in the GUI. GUI import says an error occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoop83

Dabbler
Hi folks, I need some help.
FreeNAS froze up on me and after rebooting it went into a kdb panic each time I tried to reboot.
I've done a new install of FreeNAS 9.10.2-U6 but if I try to restore my configuration, it falls back into kdb panic and I have to reinstall FreeNAS.
I have decided I need to just start from scratch on the configuration.
Anyway.
I can get my pool 'BigVault' to import through the shell, but it is not visible in the GUI.
I've imported through shell, reboot, run a scrub, reboot, exported, then attempted to Import Volume through the GUI. It starts to import but encounters an error every time.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status																									 
  pool: BigVault																													
 state: ONLINE																													 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 8h15m with 0 errors on Thu Jun  7 16:10:07 2018														 
config:																															 

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM												 
	   BigVault										ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		 raidz1-0									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		   gptid/63e417f2-e006-11e4-a717-74d435d62a24  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		   gptid/647a5ac3-e006-11e4-a717-74d435d62a24  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		   gptid/650bd3e1-e006-11e4-a717-74d435d62a24  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 
		   gptid/65a803c4-e006-11e4-a717-74d435d62a24  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												 

errors: No known data errors																										

pool: freenas-boot																												
  scan: none requested																											 
config:																															 

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM																					 
	   freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0																					
		 da0p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0																					 

errors: No known data errors

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool list																										
NAME		   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG	CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT												   
BigVault	  14.5T  6.41T  8.09T		 -	11%	44%  1.00x  ONLINE  -														 
freenas-boot  14.2G   652M  13.6G		 -	  -	 4%  1.00x  ONLINE  -														 
[root@freenas ~]#  

After using the shell to export BigVault, I can run "zpool import -fFn" and I get

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool import -fFn																								 
   pool: BigVault																												   
	id: 54608445998850418																										 
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.															 
 config:																															

BigVault										ONLINE																	 
		 raidz1-0									  ONLINE																	 
		   gptid/63e417f2-e006-11e4-a717-74d435d62a24  ONLINE																	 
		   gptid/647a5ac3-e006-11e4-a717-74d435d62a24  ONLINE																	 
		   gptid/650bd3e1-e006-11e4-a717-74d435d62a24  ONLINE																	 
		   gptid/65a803c4-e006-11e4-a717-74d435d62a24  ONLINE																	 
[root@freenas ~]# 

I'm finding no reason I'm not able to import BigVault via the GUI Import Volume.

I've tried what I found here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/restored-pool-visible-via-cli-but-not-in-the-gui.28238/
I've tried everything else I can find that doesn't seem to risk losing the pool.

Help? Please? I'm really really inexperienced at manipulating FreeNAS. All I want it to do is store files, run Plex, and an FTP.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
FreeNAS shouldn't be freezing up on you. Let's address that issue first.

Can we please be told exactly what your hardware is?

Shoop83

Dabbler
Hey, thanks for responding!
Here's my hardware. I hope nothing it catastrophically wrong... I didn't realize hardware was so important when I built this machine.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H (rev. 3.0)

Processor: Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150

Memory: 1x Team Elite Plus 8gb 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TPD38G1600HC1101

HDD: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems.

OS HDD: SanDisk Ultra Fit 16gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Power: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D

Um... what else do you need to know?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've imported through shell, reboot, run a scrub, reboot, exported, then attempted to Import Volume through the GUI. It starts to import but encounters an error every time.
What errors are you getting in the GUI when you try to import the pool?
I've done a new install of FreeNAS 9.10.2-U6 but if I try to restore my configuration, it falls back into kdb panic and I have to reinstall FreeNAS.
Do you have an older copy of the DB file that you can use to restore with?
OS HDD: SanDisk Ultra Fit 16gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Do you have just the one USB drive? Have you tried replacing the boot drive and restoring on the new drive?

Is there a reason for being on such an old version of FreeNAS?

Shoop83

Dabbler
What errors are you getting in the GUI when you try to import the pool?

When I use Volume Import, it looks like it's working, the machine reboots and the GUI then tells me "Sorry, an error occurred." Is there somewhere I can look for a log of what happened?

Do you have an older copy of the DB file that you can use to restore with?

I don't. I got everything set up, it was working fine for months. I saved the configuration just once because I wasn't making any changes to the setup.

Do you have just the one USB drive? Have you tried replacing the boot drive and restoring on the new drive?

I have not yet installed on a new USB drive, I can try that tonight.

Is there a reason for being on such an old version of FreeNAS?

Nothing was broken; it all worked fine so I hadn't wanted to touch the house of cards by updating to 11. This was the latest stable version out when I built the machine.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have not yet installed on a new USB drive, I can try that tonight.
Not saying that this must be the problem, but often it is a failed USB memory stick at fault when a system begins to have strange problems that include rebooting when it isn't intended. You might also want to try installing the current version of FreeNAS. You can still import the older DB file in the new FreeNAS, if there is nothing wrong with the DB file.
Broken or not, there have been some fairly significant improvements since the version you had running.
Be sure to keep in contact with any questions you have.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
When I use Volume Import, it looks like it's working, the machine reboots
You should be able to import and export a volume without the system rebooting. The fact that you get a reboot when you try to import the volume in the GUI indicates a problem. I am not sure what problem, but there is something wrong.
I still think we should try a fresh install on a replacement boot device and see if that changes anything.

Shoop83

Dabbler
I have read some reports that 11 is very taxing on the boot drive. Is it better to go with a SATA SSD instead of another SanDisk USB?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have read some reports that 11 is very taxing on the boot drive. Is it better to go with a SATA SSD instead of another SanDisk USB?
You do need to ensure that the system dataset is moved to the storage pool if you use a USB stick, so there are some configurations to be mindful of, but the reports of failures are not what they once were. If you don't mind spending for a small SSD or if you already have a small one that you are not using, it wouldn't hurt anything to use a SSD as the boot device. Just go into it understanding that you are not going to be able to use the SSD for anything other than the boot device and that you are not doing it to gain any speed.
Personally, I use a mirrored pair of hard drives. FreeNAS can handle creating the mirror during the installation.
There are options.

Shoop83

Dabbler
ensure that the system dataset is moved to the storage pool if you use a USB stick, so there are some configurations to be mindful of [...] understanding that you are not going to be able to use the SSD for anything other than the boot device and that you are not doing it to gain any speed.
I understand the boot drive is only that, a boot drive. It's not for storage or anything else.

Using an SSD, or mirrored SSDs for boot might be more reliable than using a USB stick?

Sounds like using an SSD requires fewer configuration adjustments? Not that moving the system dataset is likely difficult.

Sorry, I'll try the new USB with FreeNAS 11.1-U5 tonight before veering off topic any more. Thanks for your input so far!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Using an SSD, or mirrored SSDs for boot might be more reliable than using a USB stick?
I think it would be overkill to use mirrored SSDs. One should be enough and that should be more reliable than a USB stick.
What I use is mirrored hard disk drives. Small ones, 40GB, and they are only SATA II, but they do well enough and have been totally reliable.
Sounds like using an SSD requires fewer configuration adjustments?
No. Using an SSD is simple. If you use a USB stick, and you let the system dataset be on the USB stick, it will wear the USB drive out possibly as quick as a few weeks. The system dataset is constantly being written to and the USB drives are just not built for it.
Sorry, I'll try the new USB with FreeNAS 11.1-U5 tonight before veering off topic any more.
It isn't really off topic if we are talking about ways to fix the problem you have with your NAS.
Good luck.

Shoop83

Dabbler
You should be able to import and export a volume without the system rebooting. The fact that you get a reboot when you try to import the volume in the GUI indicates a problem. I am not sure what problem, but there is something wrong.
I still think we should try a fresh install on a replacement boot device and see if that changes anything.

Installed 11.1-U5 on a different Sandisk Ultra 16gb USB stick. Install went fine. Went to Storage - Volume Import - selected BigVault and it almost immediately panicked, rebooted, panicked again and froze. (I took video of it. https://youtu.be/p6Axbf_l1NA ) After it rebooted itself but before it froze there were a whole lot of lines saying
Code:
error: attempt to write a readonly database
[:  : bad number

bCQKr4n.png

The final panic looked like this:
WLyovdt.jpg

And the GUI was left showing this:
kqbJWiA.jpg

(lol, ignore the tabs, that was researching something else)

That final panic let me type 'reboot' and it did, so I selected the boot environment menu and selected normal bootup. That booted up fine. However rebooting once more, just to see if it would and not touching anything it panicked again as soon as it started trying to import BigVault. Rats.

I'll try again in the morning with an SSD and a fresh install of 11.1-U5. The USB stick I used as a boot disk this time was not 'fresh out of the box' but I've never had an issue with it.

Last edited:

Shoop83

Dabbler
https://youtu.be/FTB2B6nE48E
Well rats. SSD produced the same result. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.
I've not touched FreeNAS since the end of that video.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Prayers or incantations I should perform?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS froze up on me and after rebooting it went into a kdb panic each time I tried to reboot.
Well, it looks like we can rule out the boot drive, but there may be some other hardware fault that was the initial source of the error.
Please give a rundown on what hardware you are using.

Shoop83

Dabbler
Please give a rundown on what hardware you are using.

Here's my hardware. I hope nothing it catastrophically wrong... I didn't realize hardware was so important when I built this machine.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H (rev. 3.0)

Processor: Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150

Memory: 1x Team Elite Plus 8gb 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TPD38G1600HC1101

HDD: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems.

OS HDD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120gb

Power: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D

Let me know if there's more you need to know.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This isn't the perfect hardware for FreeNAS, but I am not saying that some incompatibility caused your problem. I am more inclined to think that something went bad.
How long was your system up and running on this hardware before the failure?
Did you do any burn-in testing after assembly and before you started putting data into the system?

Shoop83

Dabbler
How long was your system up and running on this hardware before the failure?
Did you do any burn-in testing after assembly and before you started putting data into the system?
This machine has been operating since July 2015.
I didn't do any burn-in testing prior to using it. I didn't see anything about that in the FreeNAS manual.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Discussions on burn-in and testing are usually covered here, on the FreeNAS forum, and I'm not entirely sure if it was mentioned in the manual back then. The manual has had some updates of late that might not have been in the 2015 version.
Regardless, if the system has been running that long, what we have now is more likely a failure not something that was wrong to begin with.
In an effort to isolate the problem, I would suggest doing a memory test.

Building, Burn-In, and Testing your FreeNAS system
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/building-burn-in-and-testing-your-freenas-system.38/

Uncle Fester's Basic FreeNAS Configuration Guide
https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:intro

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This machine has been operating since July 2015.
I didn't do any burn-in testing prior to using it. I didn't see anything about that in the FreeNAS manual.
In testing, you can run the solnet array test because it is not destructive, but don't do any dd tests on the hard drives because that will erase your data and I am still thinking we can get back to your data.
Do you have any backup of the data on your NAS?

Shoop83

Dabbler
I would suggest doing a memory test.

Running memory test. 35 minutes in it hit a bad patch and found 8 errors. I'll let it keep running.

rH5yKm7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.