Pool size as reported by the GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerLater

Explorer
Re: Fester's Guide https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:create_pool

Why does Tank1 appear on two lines in the Volume Manager? The first line shows 29.0 TiB available and the second line shows 20 TiB available. Of course mine is similar (two lines with different values). Perhaps I'm just thick, but this seems to be a volume inside another volume. In your guide, you have 8 x 4 TiB drives, which would be 32 TiB before allowing for reduction for parity or other operating system overhead. Why does Tank1 show up as 29 TiB on the first line and 20 TiB on the second line?

I've been using FreeNAS for ~5 years, but this is a point which I've never understood.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Uhmm, why did you post this under "third-party software"? I've moved it somewhere appropriate.

Why does Tank1 appear on two lines in the Volume Manager?
Top line is raw disk space without taking parity into account, as reported by zpool list.
Second line is logical disk space, net of parity, as reported by zfs list.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...as answered in the manual:
Note that in this example, there are two datasets named volume1. The first represents the ZFS pool and its Used and Available entries reflect the total size of the pool, including disk parity. The second represents the implicit or root dataset and its Used and Available entries indicate the amount of disk space available for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.