Pool naming: What's in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arwen

MVP
This is somewhat off-topic, so moderators feel free to move it to the Off-topic forum.

From what I can tell, their are few limitations on pool names. Certain pool names are
forbidden, like "spare" and "mirror", etc... Solaris' default for bootable OS pools is
"rpool". Makes sense and has the word "pool" in it. Get's kinda confusing when you
try this command;

Code:
rpool status rpool

But, after a while you get used to that typo :). I have even considered making a soft-link
to "zpool", but since I would not beable to do that in our Solaris production servers, it's a
bit pointless. FreeNAS uses "freenas-boot" for the OS part, not "rpool". But, it's more
descriptive showing both OS type, FreeNAS and what it's used for, booting.

Spring of 2014 I started using ZFS on Linux, (or more appropriately, Linux root on ZFS).
For both my little media, and workstation, it made sense to have a separate root OS pool,
(so I could mirror), and other pool, (like for media). So, now comes the naming. I use Solaris
at work, so "rpool" for root OS. Media seemed obvious too, "mpool".

But, my desktop, (called "arwen", gee I wonder why?), I initially used "apool". A co-worker
who is a fan of Doctor Who, (I guess I am, just not a fanatic), said it should have been
"apond" instead "apool". So I renamed my "apool" to "amypond".

A gold star to the first person who correctly identifies why...

On a more serious note, users of FreeNAS should give thought, (perhaps less than 10
seconds), on pool names. A badly named pool can likely cause problems. For example,
naming a data pool "freenas-pool" might lead to typos, (even with a GUI), when mistaking
"freenas-boot" for your data pool.

Of course, going to extremes is a bit silly too;

myserver-data-pool
myserver-backup-pool

So, what is your most interesting ZFS Pool name? And why?

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet

As to why... http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Amy_Pond

My father's pool is "space" his network is named around star wars. Mine when completed will be "zero-one" or "one-zero".

Mr_N

Patron
as cyberjock will tell you there is nothing more important in the whole of a FreeNAS setup than the pool name!

its critical, and says alot about you as a person :P

INCSlayer

Contributor
mine is named simply "storage"... but then again i also like gray concrete cubes for buildings function goes so far before form that form might not even exist for me :D

btw is there even any way to rename your pool?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
When I first assembled my FreeNAS server, I decided I was going to name the pool Bender.
It has a couple of advantages:
  • Definitely not going to cause issues due to reserved names
  • Definitely not going to be mistaken for most pools
  • It immediately allows me to have an appropriate name for the backup server's pool (Flexo, of course).
  • It can dispense catchphrases on demand

btw is there even any way to rename your pool?
zpool export storage

zpool import storage new_name

INCSlayer

Contributor

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
that was surprisingly easy
You do have to export from the GUI first, instead of the CLI. Then, after renaming, CLI export and GUI import.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

gpsguy

As a former NetWare admin, I named mine vol1.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

gpsguy

For better or worse?

Novell had some great products like NetWare and GroupWise, but their marketing was terrible. And, the WordPerfect acquistion/selloff was a colossal failure.

I've been involved with networks since the mid-80's, in the days before 10BASE-T was a standard.

My opinion of you has now been accordingly revised.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
pool0, because I'm a programmer
if I add another pool, pool1
etc.
my dataset names are much more descriptive

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I prefer to name mine "rm -rf " to reinforce proper use of quotes in scripts.

Just kidding. I do try to make the pool names unique on a per-server basis. It helps prevent sleep-deprivation induced screwups.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
For better or worse?

Yes.

Novell had some great products like NetWare and GroupWise, but their marketing was terrible. And, the WordPerfect acquistion/selloff was a colossal failure.

I've been involved with networks since the mid-80's, in the days before 10BASE-T was a standard.

Likewise. I've still got some of the old networking stuff, including 10base5 vamp taps, and I think a DELNI kicking around somewhere. It was a big improvement over all the serial lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.