Pool is dead

Mattia3rd

Explorer
Hi guys,

I have a pool named Pool10 which is configured in mirror.
This is the configuration
1711793787196.png

Today one disk seems to be dead, but I don't understand why the pool doesn't work anymore..
I used MIRROR to face this type of issue..
1711793833532.png

I cannot access my data now..

Have you any idea?

LarsR

Guru
Your first picture shows that one disk has been removed from the pool and the second has almost 23000 checksum errors. the pool has offlined itself due to too many errors and no redundancy to correct the errors...

Mattia3rd

Explorer
Your first picture shows that one disk has been removed from the pool and the second has almost 23000 checksum errors. the pool has offlined itself due to too many errors and no redundancy to correct the errors...
Yeah
I don't know whats going on..

I shutdown my nas and booted it again.
Now the failed disk is finally dead and the Pool is "degraded" state because it's resilvering..
I'll wait until the end but the question is still there:
Why the pool failed even if it's in a mirrored configuration and why the NAS services are not working

Any idea?

LarsR

Guru
Most likely due to the 23000 checksum errors... How are those drives connected to the mainboard? Onboard ports or add-in card. First thing i would try is changing out the sata cables and power cables for the drives...

Mattia3rd

Explorer
Most likely due to the 23000 checksum errors... How are those drives connected to the mainboard? Onboard ports or add-in card. First thing i would try is changing out the sata cables and power cables for the drives...
Well yes,

I have an expansion PCI but I have to figure out where the disks are connected.

Right now the resilvering is finished and the final sentence is : disk dead
1711799205474.png

I'm in the process to change it with a new one... This should rehealth the Pool10.
Then the NAS service are back online, so this is a good news...

My pain are related to this abnormal behavious of a mirrored Pool which should not become unavailable for losing 1 disk.
This is blowing my mind..

NugentS

MVP
Actually you "lost" both disks.
1 Dead
The other due to massive errors

Mattia3rd

Explorer
Actually you "lost" both disks.
1 Dead
The other due to massive errors
What?

These are brand new disks, I bought them last september 2023 :|

These checksum errors... Are they fixable?

NugentS

MVP
chksum errors are often, but not always cabling related.

I note the following: "I have an expansion PCI " - but you don't put that in your hardware list
I also note that you have some disks - but you don't tell us what these disks are.
You also don't mention PSU

So how the hell are we meant to be able to help you properly?

A few points:
1. Most PCI expansion cards are utter utter shit and not suitable for use with TrueNAS. I have to assume this is what you have - as you don't say
2. The Intel H87 has 6 SATA ports - why are you not using them?

Mattia3rd

Explorer
chksum errors are often, but not always cabling related.

I note the following: "I have an expansion PCI " - but you don't put that in your hardware list
I also note that you have some disks - but you don't tell us what these disks are.
You also don't mention PSU

So how the hell are we meant to be able to help you properly?

A few points:
1. Most PCI expansion cards are utter utter shit and not suitable for use with TrueNAS. I have to assume this is what you have - as you don't say
2. The Intel H87 has 6 SATA ports - why are you not using them?
Hi

I'll find out my PCI expansion sata port and add it. I never thought about it.. and the PSU too..
I used it until last year (for almost 10 year :) ) because I used to have 8 disks, even if now they are 6