Pool creation problem

edco

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm a total beginner here. I experimented with Truenas Scale a bit in a VM and decided to install it on my GEEKOM A5 AMD Ryzen 7, 32GB RAM.

It has:
  • one 2TB SSD (Crucial P3 Plus M.2)
  • one 2TB Samsung 870 QVO SATA III.

As I did successfully in the VM tests, the plan was to have a 2TB mirror pool.

During the installation, I checked the Crucial 2TB SSD and left the Samsung unchecked.

Now, when I want to create a pool, I have no idea what to do here. It won't let me continue due to the error: "At least 1 data VDEV is required".

Can you please help me set this up?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Screenshot_20240214_130343.png
Screenshot_20240214_130358.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So you already have a pool with one of the SSDs in it?

Now you want to add the second SSD as a mirror to the first one? (but you're using the create a new pool option for that?... I guess this is where the problem is happening)

chuck32

Guru
Seems like @sretalla is right because no data Vdev is present, additionally your screen is for a log Vdev, not data Vdev.

To add a VDEV to a pool: Click Manage Devices on the Topology widget to open the Devices screen. Click Add VDEV on the Devices screen to open the Add Vdevs to Pool screen.
Documentation

edco

Cadet
Thank you for your replies.

But I haven't created a pool. This is right after the installation.

Is it possible that TN used the first Crucial SSD as a "boot-pool" and now I can't use it for anything else?

Screenshot_20240214_140330.png

What would be the solution?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is it possible that TN used the first Crucial SSD as a "boot-pool" and now I can't use it for anything else?
Yes, that's what happened.

edco

Cadet
Thank you.

Is possible to resolve this without a new installation? Anyone know a tutorial for this?

sretalla