Plugins won't enter enabled state

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyager529

Dabbler
Hey everyone,

A friend of mine has a FreeNAS that I tend to administer and keep humming along. She moved to a new residence and brought her NAS with her (obviously). We configured her router to ensure the network address and DHCP parameters would allow a drop-in operation. For her data access, this was the case. For the plug-ins, not so much.

Transmission, Plex, Sonarr, and SabNZBd will not enter a running state. The jails start, and their IP addresses respond to ping from her laptop, and running a jexec [$JAIL_NUM csh gets me into that jail's c shell, but they won't actually-start running their respective services. I've tried restarting the NAS (several times), I tried restarting the individual jails from the jail area, changing IPs, and most of the other avenue-of-first-resort tasks.

While I'd really, really like to avoid recreating the jails from scratch (it will take quite some time to get all the settings right...), I get an error when I attempt to install plugins: "ERROR: Failed creating clean ZFS base clone"

I'll certainly provide whatever further information I can in order to attempt to get this matter resolved.

Thank you for your consideration.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you configure the new gateway and new dns servers for the jails? Are the jails configured with dhcp or static ip's? Do the jails have an ip? can the jails ping the gateway? can the jails ping google.com?

voyager529

Dabbler
Hey, SweetAndLow! Thanks for responding. I'm sorry I didn't include the answers to these questions from the get-go; let's see what I can tell you.

Did you configure the new gateway and new dns servers for the jails?
Yes and no - we made sure to configure the new gateway with the same set of parameters as the old, so the router IP is the same. While I wouldn't expect DNS settings to matter if they're being accessed by IP, internally on the LAN...the jails all have a 4.2.2.2 DNS setting, and they resolve every address I've attempted to ping.

Are the jails configured with dhcp or static ip's?
Static IP addresses, outside the DHCP scope (again, we reconfigured the DHCP scope to ensure that they did not conflict). Throwing it out there, I would personally expect the behavior of a jail with a conflicting or misconfigured IP address to allow the jail to be set to "on", and then simply have highly inconsistent behavior when accessed from the network, rather than preventing the on/off switch from being toggled, which is what is happening. I'm not trying to argue your questions, instead attempting to clarify the situation at hand in the event the OP wasn't as clear as I was hoping for.

Do the jails have an ip?
Yes - statically assigned, and pingable from the laptop.

can the jails ping the gateway?
Yes; >1ms pings.

can the jails ping google.com?
Yes. And freenas.org, and cnet.com...the jails don't appear to have any showstopping network config issues.

Thank you again!

Joey

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
In the jail you can run

Code:
service transmission onestart

Does this work or does it give an error?

voyager529

Dabbler
In the jail you can run

Code:
service transmission onestart

Does this work or does it give an error?

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# jexec 5 csh
root@transmission_1:/ # service transmission onestart
usage: chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ...
       chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ...
Starting transmission.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING: failed to start transmission
root@transmission_1:/ # 

That's what happens...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Code:
[root@freenas] ~# jexec 5 csh
root@transmission_1:/ # service transmission onestart
usage: chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ...
       chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ...
Starting transmission.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING: failed to start transmission
root@transmission_1:/ # 

That's what happens...
looks like someone changed the permissions of the jail dataset, breaking the jail. you'll need to reinstall the plugin to an existing jail.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sad news...

Someone changed the permissions on your jail dataset and did it recursively. This mean all the files in your jail for modified. None of your jails are usable now and will have to be rebuilt or restored from backup or snapshot.

You never want to change the permissions on your root dataset or your jail dataset.

voyager529

Dabbler
Sad news...

Someone changed the permissions on your jail dataset and did it recursively. This mean all the files in your jail for modified. None of your jails are usable now and will have to be rebuilt or restored from backup or snapshot.

You never want to change the permissions on your root dataset or your jail dataset.

...that would be me. At one point, after like two hours of "access denied" issues, I had a "kill it with fire" moment and chmod 777'd...basically everything (single user, behind a firewall, etc.). I guess the surprise was that it worked as well as it did, for as long as it did - this event happened about four months ago.

A friend of mine has already told me to go sit in the corner and think about what I did, as he proceeded to help me by recreating the plugins using generic jails + pkg add commands for the things that were needed. Thus, my friend is up and running again; thank you so much for your help.

My friend is owed a complement of beers, and I have very thoroughly learned my lesson.

Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.