Plugin Upgrade Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm wondering if there's any documentation in how I can have my plugins save data between plugin upgrades. my plugins keep all of their data in /usr/pbi/plugin-amd64/etc/plugin/ , a few have an SQL file managed by freenas (I'll check where I keep this). other than that, everything else should be blown away and overridden.

D

dlavigne

I'm pretty sure that 3770 fixes this for 9.2.1. In the mean time, I just make a tarball of the jail and store it outside the jail, or if it's just a few files, copy those files elsewhere.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm pretty sure that 3770 fixes this for 9.2.1. In the mean time, I just make a tarball of the jail and store it outside the jail, or if it's just a few files, copy those files elsewhere.
I don't think you understand exactly what I'm asking. as a plugin author, I was wondering if there was any documentation on the PBI update function. is there a way to specify what gets deleted or saved?

D

dlavigne

There's no API yet, thus no API documentation. AFAIK, reading the github code is as good as it gets ATM.

Dusan

Guru
Take look at the update_pbi function in notifier.py (https://github.com/freenas/freenas/blob/master/gui/middleware/notifier.py?source=c#L2767). It seems it first creates a PBI out of your current plugin (current state), creates a patch from the difference of the current plugin and the downloaded/new one and then applies the patch. So, I guess (but I did not verify it) any file that is created by the post-install script (or later) would probably survive the upgrade.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Take look at the update_pbi function in notifier.py (https://github.com/freenas/freenas/blob/master/gui/middleware/notifier.py?source=c#L2767). It seems it first creates a PBI out of your current plugin (current state), creates a patch from the difference of the current plugin and the downloaded/new one and then applies the patch. So, I guess (but I did not verify it) any file that is created by the post-install script (or later) would probably survive the upgrade.

I'll play with it, depending on the plugin I actually want things deleted and reinstalled (like python source files). ideally for me it would only keep the etc/plugin directory, and install everything else like new

Status
Not open for further replies.