Plugin menu should default to Installed plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJT211

Patron
The plugin menu should default to Installed plugins as opposed to the Available plugins.

After the initial install, the available plugin menu is rarely needed. I believe the majority of people access the Install tab way more often than they access the Available tab.

I know its only a minor inconvenience, as it only adds an extra 10-15 secs, but in the name of improvement, I believe it's worth mentioning.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

You could create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org so it could be noted for the design of 10. If you do, post the issue number here.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have been thinking the same thing lately.

I had actually planned on creating a ticket as soon as I could get to a computer which may not be for a few days. If you create one, please link it here.

JJT211

Patron

JJT211

Patron
So I posted it in FreeNAS 10 and was told it's going to AppCafe, which will be an entirely different UI. So I posted it again in 9. If they get to it, great. If not, no biggie!

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/10375

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Looks like the idea was shot down.

For totally wrong reasons IMO

JJT211

Patron
Yea, dude wasnt having it. LOL

Wish I could've replied.

I would've used the pfSense packages menu as a "default to installed" example that seems to work for that community. I mean, if someone wants to increase the capabilites of their server, they have to active seek it, be it through clicking on the available tab or through a guide on the forums.

But thats just a matter of opinion anyway.

I imagine the real reason being it's such a low priority to begin with and with a redesign to 10, it makes it the lowest of low priorities. I can understand that.

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That is some pretty dumb logic that the new user couldn't possibly click a tab to install something....

So in making it easier for the FIRST time user, the rest of us have to suffer through the time it takes to load that page.....every time we load it. I completely disagree with that.

JJT211

Patron
And last but not least, more often than not, when accessing your installed plugins, its to troubleshoot and/or add a new feature, and that added time is added frustration time, which leads to added stress, and since stress could potentially cause cancer, then it wouldnt be such a stretch to say that FreeNAS causes cancer. But if the plugin menu would only default to Installed plugins, then FreeNAS could in fact save lives.

I bet he didn't imagine that possibility when he took on the FreeNAS project. I think this has now become a critical bug.

Ill post link shortly....

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.