plex upgrade error: Limit must be set for non overcommitable resources

I had the option to roll back to earlier version of plex, through the menu on the app(same place as you perform the upgrade). It also seems like on new installs I can choose the version to install, so taht should make installing 1.7.38 possible.
This might not work for others, but it did for me.
How do you put that button on your post, "See my TrueNAS hardware"

JmarcSyd

Dabbler
I had the same error yesterday and couldn't upgrade. But today it says that 1.32.0.6973_1.7.40 is up to date ... go figure ...
yes it's using GPU acceleration...

1682203725327.png

h0st

Cadet
I ran into an issue with a freshly installed Truenas scale with UHD 630, Plex wouldn't install with the application GPU sharing setting active with this error: "Required value: Limit must be set for non overcommitable resources". I tried disabling the GPU sharing setting, installing Plex, and then re-

enabling it and starting Plex, but it still wouldn't detect it.
I managed to run another version of Plex "lscr.io/linuxserver/plex" using the docker CLI via ssh and sharing the /dev/dri folder with the container, but it's been a bit of a pain to manage.
Any ideas on how to solve this issue and get a running Plex app via the GUI?

Thanks in advance

dgrigo

Dabbler
The same happens with the emby upgrade Installation, if I disable GPU , emby install fine, but enabling the gpu afterwards result with same error.

ShaggyKris

Dabbler
Attempted to revert to 2022.12.1 in an attempt to reinstall, and am still met with the same error. Had seen some issues where Emby was facing the same issue in deploying, so I thought maybe the common denominator was using 2022.12.2. Does not seem to be the case.

inSparks

Cadet
I just stumbled across this thread and felt the need to create an account here if only to thank you all for the suggestion to disable the GPU support. This at least got my Plex server back up and running.

I wonder what the common denominator is? Could it be the use of an iGPU? I'm wondering whether because the iGPU is technically being used by the TrueNAS system, that it was never really intended to be able to assign a GPU to Plex - just like the warning states in the TrueNAS settings when you try to use the GPU Isolation feature? I wonder whether people with available discrete GPU resources are not experiencing this error?

fayelund

Dabbler
I just stumbled across this thread and felt the need to create an account here if only to thank you all for the suggestion to disable the GPU support. This at least got my Plex server back up and running.

I wonder what the common denominator is? Could it be the use of an iGPU? I'm wondering whether because the iGPU is technically being used by the TrueNAS system, that it was never really intended to be able to assign a GPU to Plex - just like the warning states in the TrueNAS settings when you try to use the GPU Isolation feature? I wonder whether people with available discrete GPU resources are not experiencing this error?
I have a dedicated GPU in my system, and do experience this. But ther eis some integrated BPU int the Supermicro mainboar as well.
Dedicated GPU: Nvidia Quadro T400
Integrated GPU: ASPEED something

h0st

Cadet

I recently encountered this issue with installing Plex on a fresh install of TrueNAS SCALE with UHD 630. as it seems to be a bug in TrueNAS SCALE.
I managed to run another version of Plex using the docker CLI and the lscr.io/linuxserver/plex image with /dev/dri sharing with the container, the transcoding worked successfully. However, managing the container was still a bit of a pain.

I wrote a post in the thread about this issue in this thread,

inSparks

Cadet
I have a dedicated GPU in my system, and do experience this. But ther eis some integrated BPU int the Supermicro mainboar as well.
Dedicated GPU: Nvidia Quadro T400
Integrated GPU: ASPEED something

Interesting. So we probably are looking at a bug then. What happens if you try to assign the other GPU? I presume you still get the error?

fayelund

Dabbler

inSparks

Cadet
I recently encountered this issue with installing Plex on a fresh install of TrueNAS SCALE with UHD 630. as it seems to be a bug in TrueNAS SCALE.
I managed to run another version of Plex using the docker CLI and the lscr.io/linuxserver/plex image with /dev/dri sharing with the container, the transcoding worked successfully. However, managing the container was still a bit of a pain.

I wrote a post in the thread about this issue in this thread,

Thanks for the link. Extra interesting. I wonder if there's a way to do this through a CLI shell for the Plex TrueNAS chart? I think that's currently beyond the scope of my understanding, however.

fayelund

Dabbler
I see that there is a 1.7.41 app out now, but unfortunately no changelog. Have anyone tested it to see if it has fixed the issue?

ShaggyKris

Dabbler
I see that there is a 1.7.41 app out now, but unfortunately no changelog. Have anyone tested it to see if it has fixed the issue?
There was a faulty change to the charts/common.tgz that set incorrect values in the templates/lib/resources/_limitations.tpl file. It was a wild ride pouring through the source code to find the fault, but we have a new version because of it!

Last edited:

dgrigo

Dabbler
I confirm it installs now, but do you have acceleration?
For me it's like no GPU acceleration available.

ShaggyKris

Dabbler
I confirm it installs now, but do you have acceleration?
For me it's like no GPU acceleration available.
May be another setting that is causing that, as I just checked using my phone and I was able to see transcoding working with the (hw) tag in both Tautulli and the Plex Dashboard.

dgrigo

Dabbler
May be another setting that is causing that, as I just checked using my phone and I was able to see transcoding working with the (hw) tag in both Tautulli and the Plex Dashboard.
Good, it was happening to emby too, but checked and I can't have any acceleration after today's update

elorimer

Contributor
Yes, with the update I could install with an allocation of GPU cores from my Gemini Lake, without the error. Then I could check the HW acceleration in the transcoding section of plex without it crashing, and play with HW transcoding.

Last edited: