PLEX updating fails (creating the PBI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltecBX

Patron
Hi, so I've been having issues updating my Plex plugin. I keep getting "Error: There was a problem creating the PBI".
I'm still stuck in version 1.1.4.2757. I've searched the forum and can't seem a way to fix it.

I tried this below and it didn't work:
1. Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)
2. type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation
3. type: 'jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)
4. type: 'fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh'
5. type: 'chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh'
6. type: './PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a'

Anybody know of another way to update without looking the data?

Thanks

m0nkey_

MVP
If I'm understanding correctly, you're trying to update the FreeNAS Plex plug-in manually? If so, stop what you're doing. The PBI is not designed to be updated manually and will break your plug-in.

Should you wish to keep Plex up to date manually, create yourself a vanilla jail and install it within that.

AltecBX

Patron
No the plugin will not update through FreeNAS plugins update. I eventually updated it manually. How do I fix it without losing data?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If I'm understanding correctly, you're trying to update the FreeNAS Plex plug-in manually? If so, stop what you're doing.
I kept my plugin install up to date for quite some time using the pms_updater script before I switched to a standard jail install.
How do I fix it without losing data?
What exactly are you trying to fix? Is Plex running?

AltecBX

Patron
What exactly are you trying to fix? Is Plex running?

Yes, Plex is working fine.
You know when you go to "Plugins" and then click on "Installed" when you click on the Update button it doesn't update. It says "Error: There was a problem creating the PBI". I want to fix this so when there's a new update, I can just click update. It used to work for a while until a few months ago.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well if you updated with the update script that's probably not going to work. Besides as long as you're on the latest version who cares what the GUI says?

AltecBX

Patron
Well if you updated with the update script that's probably not going to work. Besides as long as you're on the latest version who cares what the GUI says?
True.
So just run the script every month or so to update? How do you know when is out of date?
Is htere a way for the script to run automatically every month?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I check the Plex forums for announcements of new releases and upgrade as needed. You can set it up on as a cron task to check periodically if you'd like to automate it.

Its ridiculously easy to install to a vanilla jail and keep it updated manually. pkg update && pkg upgrade is all thats needed once its installed.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Or just pkg upgrade ;)

Maturola

Explorer
Hi, so I've been having issues updating my Plex plugin. I keep getting "Error: There was a problem creating the PBI".
I'm still stuck in version 1.1.4.2757. I've searched the forum and can't seem a way to fix it.

Anybody know of another way to update without looking the data?
Thanks

Did you figure anything out? I'm having the same issue, after updating to FREENAS 11 Plex and SABNZB plugin won't upgrade with the same error as the OP. I see how a new install and manual updating is a work around but before I go that route i would like to know if anyone had identified the issue.

Thanks

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
A manual install is not a workaround and is IMHO a better solution than the plugin.

Follow the steps listed in the first post if you want to keep it up to date and are having issues with the FreeNAS GUI update function. THAT is a workaround. ;)

Maturola

Explorer
A manual install is not a workaround and is IMHO a better solution than the plugin.

Follow the steps listed in the first post if you want to keep it up to date and are having issues with the FreeNAS GUI update function. THAT is a workaround. ;)

Thank you, I may end up doing that, however I'm wondering if anyone have found what the issue is with the PBI or the WebUI.

Also I'm having the same exact same issue with SABNZB, I don't believe there is a updater script for that.

For the sake of argument, anything that required manual interaction is IMHO a 'workaround' from the UI (Webui) intended way. However it is not a big deal I do it all the time, I just want to determine if we had encountered a bug somewhere, or maybe it is on the PBI side. that's all

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well the thing is it generally is not worth the time and effort to figure why it broke when you can just blow it away and re install.

You should probably start your own thread since you've obviously got something going on that should be investigated.

sremick

Patron
Another vote for just doing a generic jail then installing Plex like any other FreeBSD program, and using the canonical (FreeBSD) methods to keep it updated. The update process for the pre-packaged plug-in has seem fraught with issues for years from what I've seen, fragile and prone to breaking. To the point that there's that unofficial script hack that someone else tries to maintain which has its own sets of issues and is prone to breaking. It's just not worth it.

I subscribe to plexmediaserver on FreshPorts so that I get an email alert when there's a new version, then I just SSH in and type one command... a script I made which handles the simple update process.

Status
Not open for further replies.