Plex Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodam

Cadet
I don't see a thread that discusses the problem that I am seeing. I have a FreeNAS Mini that is fully updated and patched. I have one jail: plex using the pbi (I am new to freeNAS and BSD so forgive me if I state something wrong). In the past, the update button would only show up if there is an update available. I have it now but it does not seem to update. It acts like it is updating but nothing happens except I have to remount the media to the jail. Below is a picture to show what I am talking about.

Any suggestions?

BTW: If I recall correctly (I may be wrong), in the past, when there was a new version available, the version listed under "Version" was different, and usually older than the version listed under "PBI" when an update was available. It seems to show the same version now.

Also when I connect to plex.tv it tells me that a new version is available.

Attachments

• Selection_0000130.png
    Selection_0000130.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 258

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
the update button shouldn't appear if the version in the freenas repo is the same as the one you have installed. so you are hitting some type of bug.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Also when I connect to plex.tv it tells me that a new version is available.

This is a known bug in the FreeBSD version of Plex. It always says there is a newer version available regardless of what version you are on.

I run the pbi version of Plex and do a manual update using commands from the very long Plex thread in the jails sections. It doesn't show the correct version in the GUI and it always says there is an update available but I could care less about that.

The commands to manually update Plex

Code:
1. Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)

2. type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation

3. type:  jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)

4. type:  fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh

5. type:  chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh

6. type:  ./PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a

After you have updated Plex manually you can automate subsequent updates with a cron job if you wish.

Code for the cron job:

Code:
jexec plexmediaserver_1 ./PMS_Updater.sh -u username -p password -a

If you have a manual installation just replace the plexmediaserver_1 with the name of your jail.

I take no credit for this, both of these were found here on the forums and posted by other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.