How to Update Plex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamBamm

Patron
So I installed Plex (Version 0.9.12.19) the other day. After install, I got the message that I need to update Plex to a current version. I went to the NAS server via IP and couldn't find an "update" button. If I click on update inside Plex itself, it brings me to https://plex.tv/downloads. I choose the NAS option, but several other options are available, and I don't know what to do. Instead of screwing something up with random guess work, I am posting here for advice.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The current version of plex is: Version 0.9.15.2
Are you using the FreeNAS plugin for plex or are you doing a manual install with a jail?

For the plugin you need to go to the plugin section of the freenas gui and click the update button for that plugin.

If you are using a jail you need to update it using ports or pkg.

The update plex feature in the Plex UI is not supported on BSD or linux so you can ignore that ui warning.

BamBamm

Patron
Thank you!

mjt5282

Contributor
There is also a script you can use to update the PMS server in your jail, I migrated from the plugin data to a normal jail and installed plex. install the script and follow the instructions to upgrade PMS. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/120658/freenas-plex-media-server-update
Note however that on Freebsd in the server config it almost always says its time to upgrade. Actually I read around and I have a separate dataset for Plex data that I run in my SSD called jailsdata, I symlinked from "inside" the jail into the separate dataset. I also do the same for my MRTG data. I run Plex and MRTG daemon in jails off of a mirrored pair of Intel S3700 100Gb SSD's. This allows my larger data pools to sleep and spindown when not in use (I leave the jailsdata pool running 24x7).

BamBamm

Patron
Thank you, I will look into that!

sremick

Patron
As tempting as it is to just use the "click and play" functionality of the plug-ins, I'm not alone in strongly advising using Plex installed inside of a generic jail instead. It'll give you a lot less headaches in the long-run and make updating tons easier and faster. There's a whole thread on here somewhere with instructions.

pschatz100

Guru
While many advanced users will tell you to avoid the plugin, I would not automatically agree. It depends upon what you want...

The Plex plugin version tends to lag behind the latest free release version by just a bit. If you are a Plex Pass user, or have some fetish about always being on absolutely the latest version of the software, then you have to manage the software yourself inside a jail. There are lots of threads in the forum that discuss doing this. If you just want to use Plex, then install the plugin and enjoy. The recent versions of the Plex plugin have been stable.

Be patient when you do the initial install and let the process run to completion. Depending on your system, it might take more than several minutes. Also, pay attention to the instructions for setting up access to your media. Things won't work if access is not configured correctly.

sremick

Patron
Some of the main issues with the plug-in are A) How long it takes to update, and B) The fact that the whole plug-in system is being deprecated. Using a generic jail and just installing PMS in that isn't some sort of "fetish"... it really doesn't take very long and not only avoids issues, but prepares you for the future.

pschatz100

Guru
Some of the main issues with the plug-in are A) How long it takes to update, and B) The fact that the whole plug-in system is being deprecated. Using a generic jail and just installing PMS in that isn't some sort of "fetish"... it really doesn't take very long and not only avoids issues, but prepares you for the future.
A) Not really an issue. An inconvenience, at most
B) Maybe

I have been using Plex for a very long time, and I stand by my statement that "It depends upon what you want..."

If you want to learn the details of configuring and maintaining jails, then no problem. Install everything manually. There is much to be learned by doing it this way. However, to suggest that the plugin is somehow plagued with headaches, is not correct either. Not everybody wishes to become a software guru.

sremick

Patron
A) Not really an issue. An inconvenience, at most

So the issue of it taking many hours, sometimes a day or more for the plugin ugrade process to take place has been resolved? When I was first building my box back in 2014 there were posts all over the place about this. It was a known issue. I have not seen any since then stating otherwise, so if this has been resolved it'd be good to know.

From the FreeNAS 10 release notes:

"the Jail/Plugin interfaces have been completely replaced with a new combined Application Container and VM management system (utilizing the new bhyve VM hosting mechanism in FreeBSD 10)."

Seems a bit more certain than "maybe".

pschatz100

Guru
Never said that jails were not going to be replaced.
To clarify:

You commented: B) The fact that the whole plug-in system is being deprecated. Using a generic jail and just installing PMS in that isn't some sort of "fetish"... it really doesn't take very long and not only avoids issues, but prepares you for the future.

Well, maybe it does prepare you for the future... and maybe it doesn't. From what has been posted so far about the new architecture, one cannot tell. One thing, however, is that Plex is an extremely popular plugin so something will be done to support Plex.

I'm outta here. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.