Plex server plugin causing random reboots?

Valantar

Dabbler
I recently upgraded my trueNAS build with a new CPU, in large part because I wanted it to handle Plex transcoding. However, after upgrading the CPU and reinstalling the Plex Server plugin (I hadn't been using it for a while precisely because transcoding was unusably slow), I'm getting random reboots every 2-3 days, seemingly for no reason. Turning the plugin off resulted in a solid 14-day period of stability, and re-enabling it resulted in an unexplained system shutdown after ~3 days. Before the CPU upgrade the system had been rock solid, with the only reboots being due to system updates (uptime pre-upgrade was ~180 days). The reboots seem to happen entirely at random - at least they're not connected to Plex being actively used, or any other system tasks (shutdowns have happened at very different times of day, seemingly unconnected to any scheduled tasks, and system load before shutdown doesn't stand out in any way).

I'm currently running TrueNAS-13.0-U5.2, haven't upgraded to U5.3 as I didn't see the changes in the release notes as relevant to me, and only want to update when there is a good reason to do so. Beyond tunables enabling a Realtek 2.5GbE NIC (which is currently not in use, but still installed), there's nothing special done to the system. I'm very much a novice when it comes to non-Windows operating systems, so I also don't really know how to troubleshoot this at all.

As the system seems to be stable when Plex isn't running I'm not immediately suspicious of any hardware fault or incompatibility with the new CPU. My PSU is running on 8 years old, so the thought of it crapping out under new and heavier loads has crossed my mind - though it seems unlikely that a 550W PSU even at that age would struggle to deliver the ~150W peak power of my system under full load. even with the new CPU. I do have plans to replace it along with an upcoming move to a new case.

Any ideas? I know this isn't the place to go for Plex Server issues, but should a plugin even be able to crash the system? And where can I find TrueNAS error logs to tell me more than the generic "unscheduled system reboot" error message?

System specs for reference:
Ryzen 5 5600G (set to 45W cTDP-down, unsure what that makes the short term boost power limit, but it's below 100W) (upgraded from 2400GE)
2x16GB Samsung DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM
Biostar X370GTN ITX motherboard (newest BIOS version)
Silverstone SX500-LG PSU
Generic Realtek 2.5GbE NIC on m.2-to-PCIe riser
IBM M1115 (LSI 9210/11-8i) HBA
2x 8TB WD whitelabel HDDs (mirrored)
1x 120GB boot SSD
1x 500GB SSD for intermittent/temporary high speed storage, jails and similar non-vital use

SSDs are connected to the motherboard, not the HBA, as it doesn't support TRIM. System is well cooled, inclduing the HBA. The NAS is very lightly used (mostly only one user, spends the vast majority of time idle). Ryzen CPUs don't officially support ECC memory, but that's an on-paper limitation - in the real world they support it just fine (Pro chips with identical memory controllers support it officially after all), it's just not officially supported by AMD. Both the original 1600X in this NAS, the 2400GE, and now the 5600G seem to enable ECC on this RAM with no issues.

Last edited:

victort

Guru
What I would try is to install plex using the install script linked in my signature.

I can’t say that the plug-in is at fault, but plugins in general are not recommended or encouraged anymore. They are deprecated.

Valantar

Dabbler
What I would try is to install plex using the install script linked in my signature.

I can’t say that the plug-in is at fault, but plugins in general are not recommended or encouraged anymore. They are deprecated.
Plugins are deprecated? Huh. When did that happen? Not that I'm keeping track of this - I try to treat my TrueNAS build as an appliance as much as possible - but that was a surprise. I'll try the install script when I have the time, but taking a quick look at it, it seems like a non-trivial operation for someone with my skill level (I do not, for example, have a "preferred text editor" in TrueNAS/FreeBSD), so I guess I'll get back to you when I get around to it. Even the simplest semi-manual operations take time when you have to look up every step of every operation, unfortunately. But then that's also kind of what I get for going with a DIY option rather than a prebuilt NAS, so it's expected.