Plex Plugin works, but service status is OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castigo

Dabbler
Hello people,

I have a wierd thing going on in my setup. I had a few problems moving from 9.3 to 9.10 (certfication issues, connections, name it, I had it), so i did a nice clean install on a new flash drive of 9.10 and everything works.

EXCEPT for plugins. I installed the PlexMS plugin and I managed to procede with the usual process of setting all up. As you know all the library management and such is done in PLEX, so I didn't look back at freenas immediately. When i did, I noticed that in the plugin page Plex is off. I click to turn it on, there is a little animation, it turns on but as soon as I change page it goes back to being off. But PLEX works anyway, with secure connection, on every device I connect from, even if the plugin shows off.

I'll post a couple of screenshots to show you:

freenas 3 plex.PNG

As you can see the plugin is off but plex is up and running. I can play any file, no problem

The problem is bigger than just plex though. I can install any other plugin, but it service won't start, even the first time, so setting up is impossible afterwards.

I can't set up any other plugins because once it's installed, I start it (the button animation shows ON), no plugin appears under the 'Plugin' section on the right, so I cannot set or access the new plugin.

freenas 4 plex.PNG

So, here we are. I need to set up a couple more plugins and I really do not want to go the manual install way because I'm not sure I can maintain it properly.

Anyway, has any of you seen this problem or has a solution?

Many thanks!!!

Castigo

Dabbler
Hy! Partially, yes. The service stays on and shows in the plugin drop menu, but new plugins (i tried BtSync) won't turn on still. Also, the Plex Media Server acts a little erratic, sometimes it cuts out and takes a lot longer to respond.

I'll just do a clean plugin install with the new SU and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Castigo

Dabbler
So, I did clean plugin install with the new SU. The plugin will non longer start. After a reboot it starts one time, but then if I stop it and try to run it again, no dice. It won't start again...

Deleted the plugin, installed it again. The whole plugin page it's quite slow...

Definitely still some problems there...

Chr1s

Cadet
Hi,
I am having the same issue with the EMBY plugin.
I deinstalled all the plugins and reinstalled EMBY, but the plugin/service don't want to start. On the UI I get "some errors have been happened" (I have the german UI, so maybe its a different message in en_US).

Is there a log file I can check on the Jail or somewhere else?

What I have seen is that there is no IP assigned to the Jail, but its proper configured to get a IP from DHCP.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Christian

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't think I've ever heard of the plugin's middleware layer (the part that shows the status/starts and stops it from the freenas webui) working when using DHCP.

Chr1s

Cadet
Hey Joshua,

I was running emby and other plugins since 1 1/2 year via dhcp and a dhcp giving a fixed IP to all the services I want to. This stopped working when upgrading to 9.10. However, your comment helped me - after giving the plugins jail a fixed IP I am able to run the service again! Thank you very much. Should we do a thread why the (plugin-)jails no longer get a IP from DHCP?

Thanks,
Christian

Short wrapup:
If you have a plugin installed which is not properly starting, check the jail. If the second column of the jail (name of the plugin) is showing DHCP without a IP assigned to it, you may want to consider to reconfigure this jail and give it a fixed IP from your local network. Restart the jail - your plugin should work as expected.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure why exactly. the freenas webui does rely on knowing the IP address the plugin jail's middleware is running on. but I guess it does sometimes work?!

anyway, this is why i proposed the plugins host their middleware on a Unix file socket, so there'd be no guesswork/ or even thinking about IPs. hope we get something simple for freenas10

Castigo

Dabbler
Hy! With the last SU there's been a bit of worsening, now plugins just don't work. I've unistalled and reinstalled them a few times, but no way.

Also the plugin page feels very slow and sluggish... I tried to set a static IP, but I always get 'some error occured' anytime I try to start the plugin...

Castigo

Dabbler
Wooo, talk about bad timing. I managed to get the plugin to start!

I set the static IP, but didn't reboot the jail. Now the plugin works! Interface still a little sluggish, but at least it works!

Cheers guys!!! You gave me a great idea! :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
one thing that always works for me, is disabling vimage and assigning an interface to the jail. then restarting the jail.

Castigo

Dabbler
Update: The Plex plugin works fine, set as it is with fixed ip. In order to get the Transmission plugin I had to set a static ip again, but I've also followed your advice, Joshua, and disabled Vimage.

With Vimage ON the service just wouldn't turn on and I'd get the 'some error occured' notice.

I never had to do anything like this in 9.3, but hey, I'm learning new stuff and that's cool! :)

Thanks again, let's hope it keeps working!

Steve Brown

Explorer
I have even noticed when plugins do that, means there is something wrong with permissions ... from my experience :P

Status
Not open for further replies.