plex plugin version not available

alwu

Dabbler
i'm running the plex plugin on freenas 11.2-u7. i went through the normal plugin installation and everything is working fine except for one minor thing. in the freenas web gui, when i go to the list of installed plugins, the version that is shown for plex is N/A. the actual version, as reported by plex, is 1.18.2.2058. has anyone else seen this and is there a fix? also, will this prevent me from updating plex?

G8One2

Patron
Newer versions of Plex are only compatible with 11.3 Release. Your going to need to rebuild the jail with the 11.3 release version of Plex to update any farther. Might need to upgrade Freenas to 11.3 as well because I'm not sure you can get the Plex 11.3 Release version without upgraded FreeNas itself to 11.3

ddaenen1

Patron
Newer versions of Plex are only compatible with 11.3 Release. Your going to need to rebuild the jail with the 11.3 release version of Plex to update any farther. Might need to upgrade Freenas to 11.3 as well because I'm not sure you can get the Plex 11.3 Release version without upgraded FreeNas itself to 11.3

Can you explain this a bit more? I did upgrade FreeNAS to 11.3 and did an update on the plex jail and plugin and this is what i see:
Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 22.00.41.png

Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 21.58.46.png

Everything seem to be working just fine. Are you saying that i will not be able to update Plex any further?

G8One2

Patron
Yes, your Plex is running on 11.2 RELEASE-p15 So your need to delete that jail and reinstall it using the 11.3-RELEASE. The 11.2 OS version will not let you upgrade to any newer Plex versions because they arent compatible with the new 11.3 OS version.

G8One2

Patron
You should be able to download the plex database through the web managment page. That way you can restore it. I've never bothered to do that though because i never have an issue with it reacquiring metadata.

G8One2

Patron
IMO, its better to use FrestPorts to upgrade and update Plex, the update button doesnt keep up with the latest updates from Plex. At least, thats what i do.

ddaenen1

Patron
IMO, its better to use FrestPorts to upgrade and update Plex, the update button doesnt keep up with the latest updates from Plex. At least, thats what i do.

What is FrestPorts? I never had an issue reacquiring the metadata but it is a serious drag to re-organize everything time after time. Is there no easier way like installing the 11.3 plugin over the existing one?

G8One2

Patron
Another user mentioned using this command, in a different thread, "iocage upgrade -r 11.3-RELEASE [jailname]" to upgrade each jail. I have not used that command because i didnt know about it. That may work to upgrade your plex to the newest release. FreshPorts are commonly used by many users here to install and update plex. Its command line updating through ssh if you know how to do that, its really pretty simple.

G8One2

Patron
Depending on which version of Plex you have....

ddaenen1

Patron
Depending on which version of Plex you have....

Interesting enough, my Plex version is same level as the one listed in 11.3

Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 22.21.55.png

G8One2

Patron
Are you using Plexpass?

1581369908979.png

G8One2

Patron
You will still need to upgrade plex to the 11.3 version because it will eventually stop updating. I only know this because there for a while, before i upgraded freenas to 11.3, the freshports i was using to update plex wouldnt let me because the OS version was not supported. BUT, i was not using the update button in the jail tab either.

G8One2

Patron
Im pretty sure the updates that are done through the update button in your jail, only updates quarterly. So you will likely frequently have a "Update Available" warning in your Plex app, because Plex updates their versions every few weeks it seems.

ddaenen1

Patron
Im pretty sure the updates that are done through the update button in your jail, only updates quarterly. So you will likely frequently have a "Update Available" warning in your Plex app, because Plex updates their versions every few weeks it seems.

Well, i did a test on the Nextcloud jail with the iocage upgrade command you mentioned earlier and that worked like a charm! I did encounter an issue with the installed Nextcloud plugin version being higher than the one from the 11.3 plugin but i managed to fix that afterwards.

Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 23.32.52.png

G8One2

Patron
Glad you got it figured out!

ddaenen1

Patron

ddaenen1

Patron
Glad you got it figured out!
Well, not so much luck with Plex today. I get an error that plex.json cannot be found in the .plugins directory. Having a look in that directory shows that they renamed the plugin to plexmediaserver.json

Seems to me that i will be forced to do a new install. Just out of curiousity, what is the best way and most futureproof way to reinstall?

G8One2

Patron
If your doing a fresh install, just delete the old jail and use the plug-in to do the initial install, then ssh into freenas and the Plex jail. Use FreshPorts to update the jail and run the latest version.

ddaenen1

Patron
If your doing a fresh install, just delete the old jail and use the plug-in to do the initial install, then ssh into freenas and the Plex jail. Use FreshPorts to update the jail and run the latest version.

I haven't made my mind up on this one. It seriously bothers me that i would need to do a all new install and configure my whole Plex interface once again. The jail upgrade should just work as it did with Nextcloud and i cannot think of any reason why it shouldn't? My currently Plex jail works fine with 11.3 and maybe i cannot update the Plex plugin anymore but actually, it works perfectly fine so what would be the point of doing so.