Can't update plugin - version N/A

Jasper9714

Dabbler
I'm currently running the Plex plugin version 1.13.4.5271 on FreeNAS 11.2-RC1 (Oct. 2018), and wish to update the plugin to version 1.13.8.5395 (latest version available), however I get no option to do so. When looking at my installed plugins, plex is listed with version N/A. I installed the plugin a while back after updating to FreeNAS 11.2 (and found my plugins were all gone in the new UI...).

I'm guessing I'm not getting the option to update because the current version number is unavailable. Is there any way to force it to update, or reset the version number? I'd really hate to have to reinstall again.

verysneaky

Dabbler
I don't think this has changed in 11.2, but my understanding is that plugins rely on the maintainer of said plugin to be updated. My advice would be to avoid using plugins and install plex in a jail manually yourself. It's relatively straightforward and updates become available on the FreeBSD repo a couple of days after the updates drop.

Tutorial on how to do this
Another, more descriptive tutorial

Then, when an update becomes available, just run:

Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade plexmediaserver

Jasper9714

Dabbler
I don't think this has changed in 11.2, but my understanding is that plugins rely on the maintainer of said plugin to be updated. My advice would be to avoid using plugins and install plex in a jail manually yourself. It's relatively straightforward and updates become available on the FreeBSD repo a couple of days after the updates drop.

Tutorial on how to do this
Another, more descriptive tutorial

Then, when an update becomes available, just run:

Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade plexmediaserver
I know it's up to the creator of the plugin to update it, but that's not the problem. It's being updated quite well in my experience. The problem is me not being able to do it due to, what I suspect is, a bug. Installing it manually in a jail would, as the name suggests, require me to reinstall it again.

verysneaky

Dabbler
Installing it manually in a jail would, as the name suggests, require me to reinstall it again.
Fair enough, my point was just that it might remove an additional point of failure and make your life easier going forward. To perhaps confirm your suspicions about a bug or configuration problem, I can see the plex plugin version listed as 1.13.8.5395. There are a number of other plugins with version listed as NA, however, but I'm not sure if that's significant or what NA actually represents.

rumbeard

Dabbler
Brand new iocage install on 11.2-RELEASE of both plex versions results in version N/A (I tested a few times). I don't know what json or other file to edit to make that update. It is not present in the config db when looking with SQLLite viewer as only warden jail info shows up from before I deleted the warden jails. I managed to migrate my data to it. This plugin also uses no plexdata folder but rather root as the support folder so you get Plex Media Server in slash. I added a symlink for /var/db/plexdata to / so that any old bits and my certificate ref in the xml work fine.

HJD

Dabbler
Any updates on this one? I experienced the same issues...clean install of 11.2, my Plex plugin shows N/A as well. Is there a bug report that’s been filed?

Hossa

Dabbler
Hello, I am seeing the same behaviour.
Plex installed via Plugins, but Version shows N/A!

And another thing: Who to contact to update the Plugin Version to the latest available?

2fst4u

Dabbler
Any updates from anyone? I'm getting the same behaviour too. This is super frustrating because the plugin has been updated but we can't natively upgrade.

2fst4u

Dabbler
After updating to 11.2-U3 this issue is still here for me. Unable to update Plex.

Nvious1

Explorer
Is all your plex metadata stored inside the jail? If that is the case, I would suggest you copy the data out of the jail into a different dataset, then delete the plugin and start from fresh plugin install. I started with the plex plugin on 11.2 but then broke it trying to do something, so just today I reloaded plex in a straight jail.

Nvious1

Explorer
For all those that want to keep plex updated as its released and packaged by on the FreeBSD side, its going to be best to install in a standalone jail and not use the plugin. Also you will need to set your FreeBSD repo to be pointed to the "latest" versus the quarterly stream. This allows you to get what is currently packaged. As of today its:

Code:
root@plex:~ # pkg info plexmediaserver-plexpass
plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.15.2.793_1
Name           : plexmediaserver-plexpass
Version        : 1.15.2.793_1

2fst4u

Dabbler
I appreciate that this would achieve the desired outcome, but this is a bug and it needs to be fixed. No one from Plex or FreeNAS seems to be willing to help us with this.

I'm not after a workaround, because I'm able to do this if I want. I want this bug to actually be fixed so it works natively.

FJep

Dabbler

2fst4u

Dabbler
Look like it should. This is something that should definitely get fixed in an update. I tried a fresh plugin and migrated it just to get the update and see if it worked but it didn't.

anmnz

Patron
this is a bug and it needs to be fixed
This is something that should definitely get fixed in an update
Not sure whether you realise, but you are posting in a *community* forum that is not closely monitored by the developers of FreeNAS. The developers are very responsive to well-constructed bug reports, which you can raise at bugs.freenas.org.

KopfFisch

Cadet
I'm on the same boat.... When I try to update, it says "Update successful" and nothing happens....it stays with the old version. I also hope that this will be fixed because I am too stupid to maintain a plugin manually and I am very glad that there is a plugin.

SerjRusso

Cadet
I'm on 11.2-U3, just switched from the latest 11.1 train. I installed plexpass plugin and there was an update available immediately. Clicking update does nothing and Version says N/A. For now I will install Plex in a jail manually and update myself. Just wanted to let everyone know I think it's a bug.