Plex plugin missing can't upgrade plexmediaserver jail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spotcatbug

Dabbler
I'm fairly new to FreeNAS (loving it so far). I tried searching for a solution to this, but I got nothing.

I'll just get right to it: I installed the PlexMediaServer plugin. Things were working as expected. Plugin shows in Installed plugins and "plexmediaserver_1" jail is there and working great.

Some time later, I recreated my main volume from scratch. I had been using RaidZ1 and I wanted RaidZ2 (and to add a couple more disks, while I was at it). After I restored my data, "plexmediaserver_1" was there and working, but the installed plugin was missing.

Is there some way I can get the UI to show the PlexMediaServer plugin again? The reason I need the plugin is for upgrading the Plex server. I wouldn't mind having just the jail - Plex works, but I can't upgrade anymore (and there's an upgrade pending).

spotcatbug

Dabbler
I'm gonna be that guy that replies to his own question. I really feel like some future Googler might find this useful.

Turns out you can update the Plex Media Server in the plugin-created jail without having access to the plugin from the GUI. There's a script in the jail called "PMS_Updater.sh" I stumbled upon this script completely accidentally, while investigating doing a manual update from inside the jail.

I had to chmod the script to executable to use it, but it did the job - my Plex Media Server is now at the latest version.

Complete steps:

Click on the jail and start a shell from the GUI.

Or from ssh or a regular (non-jail) shell:
# sudo jexec plexmediaserver_1 sh

Once in the jail:
# chmod 777 PMS_Updater.sh
# ./PMS_Updater.sh -v -u <your_plex_username> -p <your_plex_password> -a

The -v makes it verbose so you can see what it's doing (otherwise it really is very, very terse) the -a makes it actually do the update; without the -a all it seems to do is download the archive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.