Plex on Windows, accessing FreeNAS NFS

Shankage

Explorer
Hi all,

I am currently running the latest FreeNAS, have created an NFS pool with a dataset called media. I am in the process of using TeraCopy from my old windows box to the mounted NFS share, I have installed Plex server on a new VM running Server 2016, the share is mounted and plex can see the drive, however whenever I try to scan the location it doesn't pick up any files.

I have read a lot of recommendations on configuring permissions for plex users using jails, but not sure how this translates to users on a Windows box?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
If I may ask, why NFS over SMB if you're running in a Windows environment? SMB will make life easier when you have to troubleshoot issues with permissions.

That being said, if you do want to stick with NFS, you'll likely want to manage permissions with a UNIX system like your FreeNAS server or a Linux VM on your Windows machine. You can probably manage NFS permissions through Windows, but I imagine it'll be a pain...

Shankage

Explorer
Good question, I started down the NFS path as it was my original plan to have all media on that and VMware data on iSCSI storage pool.

Direct connecting to the NFS share using NFS client for windows - I was able to connect fine, but just couldn't get Plex to do anything. After a while I created an SMB share pointing to the NFS location and created a plex user and enabled guest access. I mapped the drive to the SMB share location with these credentials and Plex started working.

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
Glad it's working! FYI, If you don't want to enable guest access on the SMB share, you can explicitly add the plex user to the files using the Windows permissions dialogue. I've never liked having guest access enabled on my shares.