Plex Jail upgrade from 11.3 to 12.2 didn't go well

Mastakilla

Patron
After upgrading from FreeNAS 11 to TrueNAS 12 and test-running it for awhile, I've today updated my ZFS pool flags and I also wanted to update my Plex jail.

For this I tried the below:
https://pastecode.io/s/2N0842RRLK

As you can see, I first checked the release version of my iocage host. This was 12.2 (and not 12.1, as many people in other threads upgrade to o_O ).
cat /etc/os-release
Then I tried upgrading with
iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE plexjail

This seems to have worked (partly), as it says "plexjail successfully upgraded!" at the end. But many issues seem to have occured:

* It seems like it fetched 12.1 instead of 12.2
Fetching: 12.1-RELEASE

* A little later, it warns me that 12.1 is EOL and shouldn't be used anymore
WARNING: FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.
It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer release within the next 2 months.

* Then it warns that 12.2 does not exist and that it will user the "master branch" instead and that this may not work
Branch 12.2-RELEASE does not exist at https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver.git!
Using "master" branch for plugin, this may not work with your RELEASE

* Finally it tries to remove a bunch of packages, but it has a lot of problems with the "lua script"
pkg: Failed to execute lua script: [string "args = {}..."]:11: attempt to call a nil value (field 'filecmp')
[plexjail] [5/62] Deinstalling libvdpau-1.4...
pkg: lua script failed
pkg: lua script failed

In the end, my jail seems upgrade to 12.1
1605188321791.png

Also Plex itself, also still seems to work properly

But the update functionality of the jail seems to be broken now...
1605188495907.png
1605188517947.png

I see A LOT of "lua script" errors popping up, when trying to update...
1605188557958.png

Anyone know how to properly fix this?

Thanks!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Anyone know how to properly fix this?
Don't use the plugin. Seriously install plex in a standard jail and keep it up to date via pkg upgrade and you'll likely not have to deal with this type of issue.

Dellyjoe

Explorer
Hello @Jailer
I'm currently having the same issue and I also dont know to much about the home lab sever, just starting out less then a year.

If I were to install a plex sever from a jail would I be able to port over all my settings? if so do you have any tips on how to do this?

Thank you ,
Dellyjoe

Mastakilla

Patron
Hi Jailer,

I guess dyi jails are indeed better if you are experienced enough in creating / configuring jails (or if you name is "Jailer" :wink:). But I don't have that much experience with jails yet, so I guess there is also A LOT that I can do wrong. Isn't this exactly the reason why these "Plugins" exist? To provide a safe and easy way to set these up?

Anyway, I'm still interested in how to fix this...
As an alternative, I would also like to know the proper way to tranfer the Plex configuration from one jail to another. Then I can create a new "Plex plugin" from scratch and transfer the config from the old one to the new one...
I found some topics discussing this, but the paths and instructions seem outdated...

jayecin

Explorer
I did the same upgrade path you did and had an issue as well. For me Plex server wouldnt start, i ended up deleting the "devfs" line from the plex server config.json file and it booted properly and I was able to upgrade it using the iocage upgrade command.

Fox

Explorer
Don't use the plugin. Seriously install plex in a standard jail and keep it up to date via pkg upgrade and you'll likely not have to deal with this type of issue.

This.

I don't use plex, but other plugins i have used throughout the years have been problematic to upgrade. I finally made a jail and installed all my apps on the same jail..

Plugins are great for testing things out and quick deployments, but for long term, use a jail..

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Plugins are great for testing things out and quick deployments, but for long term, use a jail..
Exactly. Most people like to push a button and be done with it but the knowledge you gain from rolling your own is worth it.

Mastakilla

Patron
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot when I find some time...

That still requires me get my Plex config copied over to the other jail though... Any suggestions on that? Thx

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You'll want the contents of "Plex Media Server" directory but I'm not sure what the exact path is for the plugin.