Plex 0.9.8.18.290 can't see media files

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki_racer

Dabbler
I recently updated to Plex 0.9.8.18.290. Prior to the update, everything was working. After the update, Plex doesn't seem to be able to see any folders/files inside the tv/movies/music folders.

The Plex jail has access to three folders that are mapped (excuse me but I don't know the correct term) from my non-jail storage.
  • /media/tv/ -> /mnt/storage/media/tv/
  • /media/movies/ -> /mnt/storage/media/movies/
  • /media/music/ -> /mnt/storage/media/music/
Inside the jail, if I use ssh, those three folders have content (files and folders). When I enter Plex's web control panel, and Add Section, it can see those three folders, but it never finds content inside of them. I'm not an expert at either Plex or FreeNAS, so I assume it's something I'm doing wrong.
I uninstalled Plex and deleted the jail and tried reinstalling, but that didn't resolve the issue.
Thanks.

raidflex

Guru
Have you created the users in the jail that have ownership or access to your external content?

loki_racer

Dabbler
Have you created the users in the jail that have ownership or access to your external content?

I wasn't aware that the jail had to have users/groups created for it to see external content. The btsync jail can see the same content that the Plex jail has setup. The Plex jail via ssh can see the content as well. It's just the Plex application that can't see it. I'm trying to rule out either the jail being misconfigured or the actual Plex application being misconfigured. At this point, I think the jail is configured fine because it's configured exactly as before the update and basically exactly the same as btsync.

raidflex

Guru
I had the same issue. I was able to see the linked folders in Plex, but Plex would not see any content in them until I created a user that has access to my media.

loki_racer

Dabbler
What was the user and group name you created?

I looked at the wiki and it says to check /etc/passwd for the username (should be similar to the jail/plugin name) but there's no user in there that looks like plex.

raidflex

Guru
What was the user and group name you created?

I looked at the wiki and it says to check /etc/passwd for the username (should be similar to the jail/plugin name) but there's no user in there that looks like plex.

It depends on your setup. For mine I have created the "Plex" user in Freenas and then I have a separate user I created to allow Plugins to access my media only. The "Plex" user is the one that is used by the Plex plugin. This way I can separate my content. I keep my media in its own dataset.

So what I did was add my "media" group as an auxiliary group for the "Plex" user, therefore allowing the "Plex" user access to my media content.

Make sure the jail's GID/UID's of the users that you create match with the ones in Freenas that you have created.

loki_racer

Dabbler
Ok, I created a FreeNAS user/group to match the one created inside the jail. No dice.

Here's what makes me think this is a plugin thing, not a jail thing. When I use the ssh inside the jail, I can see all the files. It's only when in Plex that I can't see them.

raidflex

Guru
Ok, I created a FreeNAS user/group to match the one created inside the jail. No dice.

Here's what makes me think this is a plugin thing, not a jail thing. When I use the ssh inside the jail, I can see all the files. It's only when in Plex that I can't see them.

The default "Plex" user that is used for that plugin must have access to the group that has access to your media files. This must be done both inside and outside the jail.

Create this group/user in Freenas (It should already be setup in the jail.) Next give the "Plex" user access to your media by adding the group that has access to your media as an auxiliary group. Then while inside the jail create the user/group which has ownership of your media files. (make sure the GID/UID match in both freenas and the jail.)

(These are created in Freenas)
User: Plex (Auxiliary group should be the owner of the media files)
Group: Plex
UID: 972
GID: 972

loki_racer

Dabbler
First off, thanks so much for the help. I think I've done what you've said, but it doesn't seem to work.

The FreeNAS "plex" user with 972/972 UID/GID.
freenas-1.jpg

The Plex jail "plex" user with 972/972 UID/GID.
freenas-5.jpg

Showing that the FreeNAS "plex" user is part of the "Users" group.
freenas-2.jpg

That "Users" group has access to /mnt/storage/media/movies
freenas-3.jpg

The Plex jail mapping /mnt/storage/media/movies to /media/movies
freenas-4.jpg

In FreeNAS I ran ls -al /mnt/storage/media/movies to show that there's content
freenas-7.jpg

In Plex, /media/movies shows no content
freenas-6.jpg

Thoughts?

raidflex

Guru
Maybe try giving execute access to "other" for your "users" group, because this may be preventing other users from accessing the share. I would set the permissions recursively.

loki_racer

Dabbler
Maybe try giving execute access to "other" for your "users" group, because this may be preventing other users from accessing the share. I would set the permissions recursively.

That did it. I gave the FreeNAS /mnt/storage/media/movies Other Execute permission.

Thanks a ton.

Googles

Cadet
Hi all

I have the same issue. And the setting the permission recursively resolves it temporary. After new episodes are added to the folder i have to redo the steps of setting permissions. Without doing this Plex is not able to find these episodes.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi all

I have the same issue. And the setting the permission recursively resolves it temporary. After new episodes are added to the folder i have to redo the steps of setting permissions. Without doing this Plex is not able to find these episodes.
whatever program/service is adding these files needs to make them readable by the user plex is running as.
you either need UIDs to match, GIDs to match and the files group readable, or make the files readable by all users.

how are files being added?

Googles

Cadet
Sonarr is adding the content to the media folder and its downloaded via sabnzbd

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
what are the permissions are the downloaded files. 'ls -l /path/to/files'

in sabnzbd you can change the permission level of downloaded files, you can also change what user any of these programs run as.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
double post

Status
Not open for further replies.