Region Prefixes Please use Australia/Europe prefix as necessary.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I see plenty of folks from Australia also posting (and bemoaning the terrible availability of good hardware).

Could you suggest a different prefix for them too?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
whether it ought to include New Zealand or if that must be a seperate region I have no idea
Depends who you ask...

The Australian constitution still has in its preamble (because it was in discussion at the time of federation) that New Zealand would be one of the states.

Ask a New Zealander about that, I guess they will not feel comfortable to be lumped in as Australia.

Maybe Oceania would be the right collective/regional term.

You could also perhaps consider Asia-Pacific (more at the same level as Europe).

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I'll let things be as they are for now, and see if there is a consensus to revise, then will when that arrives. What ever region name is given, it ought to be understood for what area it is and also relate to issues surrounding 'great deals' posts. I am among those who do not know 'Oceania' off the top of my head, largely for not living in the region. :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Also, many Australians wouldn't know it either, so maybe you have a point.
I beg to differ. Oceania is a well-known term in the region. APAC includes all countries including parts of Russia that border the Western Pacific Ocean. APAC is considered too broad when considering our neighbours. Even if you did define APAC/Europe region prefixes, there are still great swaths of the world that you haven't included.

Maybe currency prefixes make more sense than region prefixes https://fxssi.com/top-5-most-traded-currencies-in-the-world. Currency prefixes would include the US and Europe; the USD because it's a global currency and the Euro because it's the second most used currency in the world.

I'm not sure defining an APAC/Oceania/Australia prefix is all that useful. Australia suffers from a few unique issues due to our isolated geography and small population:
  1. A much smaller range of commodities and higher prices means we end up buying online from the US/Europe/UK anyway.
  2. Language difficulties generally make it difficult to buy from our Asian neighbours unless they sell through Australian channels the likes of eBay, Amazon and Alibaba.
  3. It can take 18 months to 2 years before a product lands on our shores. A good example of this is the HP Gen10+ microserver.
  4. The more unique something is, the less likely it will be available in Australia and the more likely it will be sourced overseas online.
EDIT: I've found a use for the 'Australia' prefix, not so much in the context of a 'Great Deal', but more in the context of 'Have you found a Great Deal?' :smile:

Last edited: