Please stop me from installing windows server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectMorris

Dabbler
I have a FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201603252134 (412fb1c) instalation

I'm using a MAC and the most recent version of Firefox to configure the server via the GUI

I want 4 users with discrete user datasets 1 of which is an administrator and can see all and 1 public/common area which everyone can see.

I have followed NASA's thread to the T and nope it doesn't work.

Permissions don't seem to stick, I change the default dataset permissions rwxrwxr-x to rwxrwx--- and it just doesn't seem to set them. If I go back to the dataset they have reverted to the default settings.

In the data sets do I make it UNIX, WIndows or MAC shares?

What is going on?

I tried to SSH and use chmod on a directory and even loging in as root I can't chmod.

I'm at my wits end and have spent many fruitless hours on this.

I really want to FreeNas and especially ZFS but much longer and I'm installing Windows and I'll have it running in 10 minutes.

Please help me avoid doing that.

Peter

maglin

Patron
Post system specs. MB Ram CPU. You should use UNIX shares and assign users to the data sets and add the one admin to the group for setting it all up as you are wanting. Also you need to turn on SSH in services to be able to SSH into the box.

Also don't log into the box as Root. Makes a user to log into and gain root permission with su.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What protocol are you using, cifs or NFS? If cifs set it to Windows permissions and if NFS set it to unix permissions.

ProjectMorris

Dabbler
Well I'm using Windows permissions all the way through, from volume and dataset and CIFS. Well I say I'm using, I tick the permission boxes but it ignores me and retains the defaults. It's really infuriating and after several hours last night I gave up and went to bed pi55ed off. There has got be something fundamentally wrong here, why are selected options ignored?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When using Windows permissions you configure things through the windows security dialog or by using seffacl and gwtfacl on the freenas CLI. The idea of mode bits goes away so messing with that will not work and give unexpected results.

ProjectMorris

Dabbler
Ok if I'm reading this correctly what your saying is the tick boxes where you select the permission don't work and that Windows permissions must be post implementation configured on an external Windows machine, is that correct?

If it is then this begs the question then why have them? Also I'm the admin and configuring the server from a iMac although the configuration must cater for multiple platform users Mac, Windows, IOS and Android.

What I want to achieve is mind numbingly simple and I have experience in configuring servers so I am at a loss as to why I'm finding this so difficult to achieve.

I have followed NASA's guide but whether this is for a release to early to be relevant now, or if it's because I'm using a Mac or using too new a version of Fierfox, I don't know.

Is there a noddy guide for 4 discrete multiplatform users of which one is the admin and a common area available to all?

It is astonishing that this is proving so difficult and must militate against the take up of FreeNAS, especially in the home.

All this said I really appreciate your help and will endeavour to continue with this configuration but I must admit to my patience being well and truly tested.

Peter

For this scenario I would create my datasets (share type Windows) then change permissions (permission type Windows) and add your admin user that you have created into the owner (user) and owner (group) field. Then share it out using the sharing tab and fire up a windows machine (even a VM would do). Now connect to your share and like sweet said right click the share in explorer and select security tab. I normally click advanced at this point and the first thing I do is remove the Everyone user unless you want all your users to see this area. Now for one user to have access to one dataset simply add and search for your FreeNAS user and grant them the relevant permissions. For a shared area I would create a group on FreeNAS and add the relevant users to that group via FreeNAS and grant the group the relevant permissions to the share.

Hope that helps.

ProjectMorris

Dabbler
It is also a bit weird that in order to configure your server you have to use a client to do it. Why is the configuration not all done on the server centrally?

What bit didn't work?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
NASA's thread?

Chmod is disabled on windows share types (it breaks permissions on samba shares). If you're using a samba share with Macs, try enabling "streams_xattr", "fruit", and "catia" VFS objects.

Setting permissions with a client is very common in the windows world - especially if you're using server core, and is one of the two ways to generate acls that are pretty much guaranteed to be the way windows wants them (the other way is smbcacls).

ProjectMorris

Dabbler
Johnny, The permissions didn't I could log in as different users and see areas I shouldn't be able to. WHen I checked the permissions despite settin them as rwxrwx--- for user data sets the default rwxrwxrr-x was retained. I have in a fit of pique reset the server as I was so fed up last night.

ProjectMorris

Dabbler
Anodos I've setup literally hundreds of Windows servers and never have I had to resort to going back to a client to then finalise the configuration. Isn't it the very point that you configure the server and clients join?

When you are on your XP machine are you right clicking the mount point and changing permissions there or are you creating a sub-folder and changing permissions there?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Anodos I've setup literally hundreds of Windows servers and never have I had to resort to going back to a client to then finalise the configuration. Isn't it the very point that you configure the server and clients join?
All those servers and you've never used core?

There is no GUI in core. You HAVE to use a client or command line.

The fix is to stop using 'Windows' as the permission set and use UNIX. Then set your permissions directly from FreeNAS.

I don't know what thread/blog you're following but it sounds like they're wrong.

ProjectMorris

Dabbler
To be honest I was so cheesed off that the permissions I'd set on the server didn't seem to be working after following a "how to" process coupled with it being late in the day that I just face palmed, toasted the configuration and went to bed. I seem to remember I had problems attachin to the server, it could be seen on the network and it wouldn't let me login. I use the the users first name I.e. Peter as their user and during set up "password" as their password. I could see and access the public/common area and could login as me, but if I tried to connect to any other share it wouldn't have it.

Do you know of a step by step guide for this?

ProjectMorris

Dabbler
Pirate ghost CORE? I take it that is a configuration tool?

We had a trick of I think it was, I'mstruggling as it was a long time ago, was it SYSPREP and then swap one of the raid disks out and use it in the next server... We did a full rack of 1U servers with that technique a few times.

I was using the WIndows shares as that is the recommended route if you are using multi OS clients.

I'm not using NFS as I want to control access to files and areas etc.

I'll give the UNIX route a try and let you know although it's going to be the weekend when I can do that.

Thanks

Peter

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Windows server core. It's not a configuration tool. It's a version of Windows server with no GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.