Please help recover family photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am having trouble recovering my data after both a drive and the FreeNAS usb failed.

My build is 4 Western digital 3GB drives in raid 5. So just over 6 gb of storage. One of the drives failed but that's fine it's happened before and I've successfully replace it. (I erroneously used WD greens when I first started but have started to replace with reds). Unfortunately whilst I was waiting to replace it the FreeNAS USB was damaged. So I recently redid a USB with FreeNAS 11 and tried to recover the volume.

The problem: when I hot swapped the drive out.. FreeNAS would not detect the volume and doesn't show any import options (zpool status).. When I put the old faulty drive back It sees the volume but when I run zpool import it just takes a long time and doesn't do anything ?

Would really really appreciate some advice on how to proceed? I've got some family photo's and personal music I've created that will be totally lost if I cant recover this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hardware, old FreeNAS version, outputs of zpool status, zpool import and camcontrol devlist?

[CODE][/CODE] tags, please.

Hardware:
Platform AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor
Memory 7640MB
Drives: 4 Western Digital 3TB Green drives

Old Freenas Version: 9.3

zpool import: no output

zpool status:
Code:
  scan: resilvered 476K in 0h2m with 0 errors on Sun Jul 16 23:11:43 2017	 
config:																		

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM								 
		freenas	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 
		  raidz1-0  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 
			ada0p2  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 
			ada1p2  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 
			ada2p2  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 
			ada3p2  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 

errors: No known data errors													

pool: freenas-boot															
state: ONLINE																 
  scan: none requested														 
config:																		

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM								 
		freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								
		  da4p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 

errors: No known data errors

camcontrol devlist:
Code:
<WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 80.00A80>	at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)		
<WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 80.00A80>	at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)		
<WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 80.00A80>	at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,ada2)		
<WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 80.00A80>	at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,ada3)		
<Generic- Compact Flash 1.00>	  at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,da0)		
<Generic- SM/xD-Picture 1.00>	  at scbus7 target 0 lun 1 (pass5,da1)		
<Generic- SD/MMC 1.00>			 at scbus7 target 0 lun 2 (pass6,da2)		
<Generic- MS/MS-Pro 1.00>		  at scbus7 target 0 lun 3 (pass7,da3)		
<SanDisk Cruzer Edge 1.00>		 at scbus8 target 0 lun 0 (pass8,da4)

It appears that your pool is online, with all four disks present and none currently showing any errors. What's the problem?

I'm not sure the zpool status is correct.. I'm getting the following alerts:

CRITICAL: July 17, 2017, 5:41 p.m. - Device: /dev/ada2, FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!
CRITICAL: July 17, 2017, 5:41 p.m. - Device: /dev/ada2, Failed SMART usage Attribute: 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct.

No volumes are showing via the dashboard .. and when I try import volumes.. it doesn't show the "freenas" volume I initially had.

danb35

Hall of Famer
and when I try import volumes.. it doesn't show the "freenas" volume I initially had.
This is probably because the pool's already imported. Try doing zpool export freenas, and then Import Volume in the GUI.

Edit: And yes, ada2 needs to be replaced, but let's worry about access to your data first.

Stux

MVP
Once it's back. Backup the stuff you care about. Then replace the failed disk.

m0nkey_

MVP
How was the pool created? I would expect the drives to be represented as gptid/<some-random-uid>, not adaXpY.

it worked! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!

I guess I was just missing the zpool export freenas step.

I did enable SMB to try and copy the files off but windows explorer seems to be crashing when I try and navigate directories or when trying to copy/paste files from the freenas box. Can you guys recommend a better way to do this or do you know what could be wrong? Should I try directly connecting a usb device to the nas box and copying via the terminal?

How was the pool created? I would expect the drives to be represented as gptid/<some-random-uid>, not adaXpY.

Not too sure.. I created it using Freenas 8 a long time ago.. I think it just defaulted to those names when I following the getting started guide.

Stux

MVP
Not too sure.. I created it using Freenas 8 a long time ago.. I think it just defaulted to those names when I following the getting started guide.

Once you've made a backup, and replaced faulty disks, you can fix this one device at a time, by off lining the affected devices, wiping, and replacing with themselves....

Re your SMB issue... maybe start a new thread?

Thomas102

Explorer
it worked! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!

I guess I was just missing the zpool export freenas step.

I did enable SMB to try and copy the files off but windows explorer seems to be crashing when I try and navigate directories or when trying to copy/paste files from the freenas box. Can you guys recommend a better way to do this or do you know what could be wrong? Should I try directly connecting a usb device to the nas box and copying via the terminal?

You may want to try Winscp to get back your files using scp protocol. It may be more resilient to errors or timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.