Please Help! Problem with my volumes don't want to lose data - RESOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobius

Dabbler
Here's the situation. I'm begging for help. I'm running FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64.

I had a volume all set up and running fine. The system is stable and running the way I want. I'm probably low level skilled. I know enough to use a tutorial to set up what I want. That's about it.

Recently I wanted to add the PlexServer option to share media stored on the NAS to my network. I installed the PlexServer Plugin ok. When I installed the plug-in it overwrote my Volumes to be a different Volume ID. Now all my data is inaccessible from any network drive. The only directories that show are the Plexmedia folders. The storage folder still shows data on the drives. The volume capacity is 3.6TB. It shows 1.9TB used and 1.6TB free. But I can't access the data because the volume is renamed.

I tried uploading my last config db and it didn't work. I have nearly 2TB of family photos and videos on this NAS that I don't want to lose. Can someone help walk me through repairing the root volume?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You configured your jails to install somewhere. Where? Did you tell it to install to the root of your volume? Did you give it the same name as your volume? Please provide us with information.

mobius

Dabbler
I'll give you whatever you need, but I don't know what all to give so ask away if I don't provide what you need. When I configured the Jail to add store I had to choose a source and a destination. When I clicked on "Browse" for the source the only options that were listed were 2 new volume id's that the plugin create when it was installed. Those new volumes were installed on the root as far as I can tell. So as far as I can tell it installed to the root and the new volume is installed under that root. Now when I go to my Storage tab under Active Volumes it only shows me the Plex Media volumes and not my previous volume. The new volumes are small under a gig. But the root still says 1.9TiB used. I've tried a factory reset and re-installing my last good config, but it's still not showing up.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
When I configured the Jail to add store I had to choose a source and a destination.
What this when you lost access to your data? If so, reverse this by removing the storage from the jail.

mobius

Dabbler
What this when you lost access to your data? If so, reverse this by removing the storage from the jail.
I did remove the storage from the jail. It didn't help. When I installed the plugin, it redefined my volume and somehow nuked the old definition. So now I'm stuck with this new volume definition and it won't revert. Any thoughts?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I did remove the storage from the jail. It didn't help. When I installed the plugin, it redefined my volume and somehow nuked the old definition. So now I'm stuck with this new volume definition and it won't revert. Any thoughts?
Can you provide some screenshots?

It sounds like you have a dataset that was created over a directory

mobius

Dabbler
Can you provide some screenshots?

It sounds like you have a dataset that was created over a directory
Yeah, I'll try to remember to get some later today. I'm not at my house right now. I assume you want a screenshot of the storage tabs? Any other shots that might be helpful?

I didn't want to delete the new dataset for fear that all of the files could be deleted.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I didn't want to delete the new dataset for fear that all of the files could be deleted.
Understood. This type of problem is almost always the result of a dataset hiding a folder of the same name. Taking a recursive snapshot of the whole pool would ensure that you could recover if deleting the dataset didn't work.

mobius

Dabbler
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Thank you guys SO much. I deleted all of the new datasets that were created by the plugin and re-mapped the drive on my pc. Everything is visible again. Nothing lost. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.