FreeNAS 9.1: Reset to factory defaults Data Lost/Data Unavailable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy

Cadet
Hi

I am not a noob nor am I very comfortable with Linux. First things first, I had FreeNAS 8.3 set up, working like a charm (3 JBOD, Transmission, mini DLNA, firefly etc. setup). Then I wanted to do the upgrade to FreeNAS 9.1 for setting up Plex server. So downloaded the Upgrade .txz and from the GUI method was able to Upgrade successfully. So now I am at FreeNAS 9.1 and all the disks mounted and all looks good.

Then the things went from bad to worse.

I wanted to install Transmission, but kept getting 'Configure Network interface and default gateway' message when tried to do so, tried the migrate plugins as well from 8.3 to 9.1 but that never made it to work. Frustrated at that I tried what I suggest no one do. On the console '8) Reset to factory defaults' was done. Reboots. After this I am unable to mount my disks.

After the above reboot, I added username, password, created groups and users. Then I was trying to do this: Storage>Active Volumes>Auto Import volume It asks me if it is a Encrypted ZFS Volume (in my case I had used JBOD as UFS) so I chose 'No:Skip to Import'. In the next window I don't get any volumes that I can select in the volume option and just a 'Ok' or 'Cancel'.

I want to retrieve the data I had, any alternate methods? Please help!!!

I was thinking of going back to the old FreeNAS 8.3 or can I retrieve data by connecting disk via USB and restarting the whole config. Please help, I had like 4TB of media and valuable data on there.

Sandy

Cadet
Going back to the old FreeNAS8.3 did not work as it says error: Could not downgrade.

Does any body on here know how to connect the RAW hard disks and retrieve data? I tried to connect a SATA cable to the powered up disks and used a SATA bridge to USB but the hard disk was never detected on my Windows 8.

Is all the data lost?

Please help!!! Worst day ever!

Whattteva

Wizard
I'm surprised at how much tinkering you did on your own considering you had "valuable data and not very comfortable with Linux" (btw, FreeNAS is based on BSD not Linux).
You should've consulted on the forums first before doing those, though you wouldn't be the first one to try stuff out and then come to the forums (actually probably 70-80% of people go this route).

At any rate, I don't think simply restoring to factory default would wipe anything out. It just wipes out your settings database, but that should be it.
Restoring your old config should probably get all your mounts back (you did backup your old config before doing the factory restore, did you?).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have your old config you should restore your old config. Whatever you do don't try to create a new volume on your disks or you will most certainly lose your data.

Other than that, consult the manual for importing UFS. If you did follow the manual for importing UFS post the output of the following commands:

zpool import
zpool status
gpart list

Post those in CODE tags because the formatting of the output is important.

Sandy

Cadet
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I went all mad after all that happened today and finally gave up, was about to re-do the whole thing from scratch. Last ditch try I had a USB drive that was also UFS mounted earlier but had no data on it. So I mounted it again today and as usual this was a data wipe type mount of UFS. It mounted fine. then i went back to Storage>Active Volumes>Import Volume and dang the 500GB drive of mine was in bold, I selected it and did a mount, went fine, then the 2Tb and 3Tb was also highlighted and I could mount it all now. OOOOooo :) .

Guess the Auto import Volumes does not work. Although it was only after i mounted the USB drive that i got it all to work, so may be a bug as well.

Luck pays! And the best part I am installing transmission as I type, so the factory reset too helped. Crossing my fingers that all the plugins and plex too works.

Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated. And btw I did not have a stored old config. First thing that i am doing now is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.