Please help identify NAS IS

20231028_144431.jpg

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to TrueNAS Forums.

This is not a forum to help someone identify a rack of old equipment, however we are not that unfriendly. It looks like you might have 3 servers at the bottom of the rack and 4 network switches at the top.

Thanks for sort of pointing me at the right direction. I know little of this sort of tech area. Frankly, I am concerned that it may be something that should be placed in the hands of authorities based on the situation surrounding it. I am trying to determine if it's something that may have stored information and approximately when it was likely manufactured.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It would certainly be helpful if you'd post an actual question--as Joe says, this forum really isn't the place, but someone here might know something. But I'm seeing 128 ports' worth of network switch gear with only 8-9 ports used, which seems more than a little inefficient. Nothing appears to connect them together--there's one network cable from each of the Cisco switches to one of the boxes at the bottom of the rack, and that's the only thing plugged into each of those switches. Cable management isn't very good, though I don't have much room to talk about that.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
A switch of unknown brand, then 3 Cisco switches, 2900 or similar, then 3 Cisco routers, 1800 or 2800 series. One can tell by the WIC interface cards (the small ones) and the large empty NM slots to the left.

No server to be seen anywhere.

Ok, actual question coming right up...
A switch of unknown brand, then 3 Cisco switches, 2900 or similar, then 3 Cisco routers, 1800 or 2800 series. One can tell by the WIC interface cards (the small ones) and the large empty NM slots to the left.

No server to be seen anywhere.
Thanks Patrick. Honestly, I don't know anything about this kinda thing, but due to the nature of a situation which involves the location of this unit I am trying to determine if it is possible that A: It was used for secured communications on par with government level security standards B: Is it likely that it contains stored information C: Approximate era

My understanding of terminology and abbreviations is weak. What is "NAS IS"?

In rack Server?
Inline Server?
Integrated Switch?
International Spacestation?

I bet it's something obvious and I look really dumb right now. :tongue:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am not a lawyer, but if you have a possible compliance issue, you need to hire a lawyer and an expert yesterday.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Ok, actual question coming right up...

Thanks Patrick. Honestly, I don't know anything about this kinda thing, but due to the nature of a situation which involves the location of this unit I am trying to determine if it is possible that A: It was used for secured communications on par with government level security standards B: Is it likely that it contains stored information C: Approximate era
Sorry, my memory failed me. Cisco 2600 series rather than 1800/2800.

The switches seem to be 2950 models:

A. What does "government level security standards" even mean? This is all network equipment long out of support and hopefully also out of service. The routers might include crypto/VPN features, but depending on the software license and image also might not.

B. There is no storage device in that picture. Nonetheless the configuration of the network units might contain VPN pre-shared keys, user names and passwords possibly used elsewhere, certificates, ... any form of credentials.

C. 2000-ish.

D. What @Ericloewe wrote:
I am not a lawyer, but if you have a possible compliance issue, you need to hire a lawyer and an expert yesterday.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
My understanding of terminology and abbreviations is weak. What is "NAS IS"?

In rack Server?
Inline Server?
Integrated Switch?
International Spacestation?

I bet it's something obvious and I look really dumb right now. :tongue:
Infrastructure? Also just guessing, of course.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are being intentionally vague and I don't' understand why other than you are implying it was in an illegal operation or you may intend to use it in one. This entire conversation is sketchy. Also I'm not sure if you are looking to purchase this hardware or not. Regardless of all that, it appears you do not know what you are looking at so I would say to pass on the deal. So unless you tell us what is really going on, I'm departing this conversation.