Please do not run FreeNAS in production as a Virtual Machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We're trying to scare you into thinking straight.. then not even trying to virtualize.

One of the prevailing problems with IT people is that as soon as you tell them not to do it, they want to do it anyway. Yes, it's incredibly stupid, but it is what it is.

The bottom line is we provide zero support around here, we delete threads asking for support, and generally we have better things to do. We've got this warning here and if people don't want to listen that's fine. Just don't come crying to us when things go bad.

TXAG26

Patron
I'm TXAG26 and I'm virtualized! :smile: I spent my money and did it right 100% with true server-grade hardware and full PCI pass-through with a ton of ECC ram dedicated just to FreeNAS. Have a RaidZ2 for storage and a RaidZ1 for primary backup. I have full SMART control over all of my drives. Do it right or just don't do it at all...and have secondary/off-line backup on another physical machine or on external HDD's.

Reactions: L

ohill

Cadet
Disabled BIOS VT-d on production server gives good bandwidth improvement. Have to check another Vanderpool field.

Motherboard : Supermicro X10SL7

messerchmidt

Explorer
while I suspect that you discourage running freenas 9 as a virtual machine to protect Truenas, a guide to getting it working on hyper-v or exsi 5.5 with server grade hardware would be appreciated.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
while I suspect that you discourage running freenas 9 as a virtual machine to protect people's data, if you need a guide to getting it working on hyper-v or exsi 5.5 with server grade hardware, it would be a bad idea to do it.

Fixd

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
while I suspect that you discourage running freenas 9 as a virtual machine to protect Truenas, a guide to getting it working on hyper-v or exsi 5.5 with server grade hardware would be appreciated.

The same TrueNAS that runs on dedicated, custom hardware?

Yeah, spare the conspiracy theories.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The same TrueNAS that runs on dedicated, custom hardware?

You, too, can build your own chip fab to create advanced microprocessors capable of running TrueNAS. Just take mithril and put it through a litho process that involves sacrificing angels (we actually know how many fit on the head of a pin!) and use radioactive waste to etch a chip, all of which has to be done in a pure environment of unicorn farts...

Oh, you didn't mean quite that custom? ;-)

messerchmidt

Explorer
With proper server grade hardware that passes everything through properly, running freenas 9+ as a VM without an issue should be possible. For example, using a fully IBM/LSI M1015 card for the array. Alternatively, a jail that runs vm images would be great.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You, too, can build your own chip fab to create advanced microprocessors capable of running TrueNAS. Just take mithril and put it through a litho process that involves sacrificing angels (we actually know how many fit on the head of a pin!) and use radioactive waste to etch a chip, all of which has to be done in a pure environment of unicorn farts...

Oh, you didn't mean quite that custom? ;-)

Well, custom as in "We have decided on a specific set of hardware, take it or leave it."

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
With proper server grade hardware that passes everything through properly, running freenas 9+ as a VM without an issue should be possible. For example, using a fully IBM/LSI M1015 card for the array. Alternatively, a jail that runs vm images would be great.
Sounds an awful lot like you completely ignored jgreco's comment and his dedicated thread regarding exactly that subject.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

9C1 Newbee

Patron

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The problem is that you don't get feedback from people who read the posts and follow the advice. :)

Ah, the eternal "everything is ok, so I won't review" problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I guess I'm too lazy to write a review as well. My VM setup is also solidly boring...ZZZzzz

And nobody in their right mind uses that kind of info to validate a build is solid. Why?

Do you know how many people lost their data after they were also 100% sure the system was rock solid and safe to store the only copy of their data? Every. Single. One.

It's just like the initial post says. It all works great until it doesn't. And that day it doesn't is the day you lost your pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.