pkg is broken?

Xelas

Explorer
Code:
root@NAS:~ # pkg update
Updating local repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository local load error: access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-local.sqlite) failed: No such file or directory
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
repository local has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/packagesite.txz: No such file or directory
Unable to update repository local
Error updating repositories!

It also fails when trying to install any package. Any tips?

Running Freenas 11.2U6

Fredda

Guru
FreeNAS is an appliance and is not intended to be updated with pkg.

Use the GUI for update. But the next update will probably need some time, as 11.2U6 was just released about a week ago.

kdragon75

Wizard
Code:
root@NAS:~ # pkg update
Updating local repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository local load error: access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-local.sqlite) failed: No such file or directory
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
repository local has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/packagesite.txz: No such file or directory
Unable to update repository local
Error updating repositories!

It also fails when trying to install any package. Any tips?

Running Freenas 11.2U6
This is intentional. If you need extra software, use a jail. As stated this is an appliance.

Xelas

Explorer
Ah. My problem is FreeNAS is running within ESXi (yeah, I know, not technically supported but I'm not the only one), and it's been running this way for several years now. pkg used to work, and I used it to install and update open-vm-tools-nox11. I'm noticed that I haven't updated the vm-tools in some time and there is a new version.

At some point, pkg seems to have been disabled. I understand and don't disagree with the decision, but any suggestions on how to proceed?

kdragon75

Wizard
Ah. My problem is FreeNAS is running within ESXi (yeah, I know, not technically supported but I'm not the only one), and it's been running this way for several years now. pkg used to work, and I used it to install and update open-vm-tools-nox11. I'm noticed that I haven't updated the vm-tools in some time and there is a new version.

At some point, pkg seems to have been disabled. I understand and don't disagree with the decision, but any suggestions on how to proceed?
I would advise that if you do not have a requirement to update vmtools that you do not. With that said, you can always manually install the binaries and kernel modules.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Or submit a feature request via the bugtracker to have it added to the next point release of FreeNAS.