New test install

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloa

Wizard
Guys,

As I have a new server on the way, I've decided to do a fresh install to test U4 and encountered the old pkg error ...
Code:
 pkg upgrade
Updating local repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository local load error: access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-local.sqlite) failed: No such file or directory
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
repository local has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/packagesite.txz: No such file or directory
Unable to update repository local
Error updating repositories!

When trying to get nano installed to look at the SMB config (yeah ... vi ... not me), as the SMB exports were not working - had to manually change from within w&(*@dows (will do more test later).

Just checking if someone else had this issue with pkg ... will do some research still to try to fix, but it is upsetting, after downgrading from Corral to the stable and keeping it without updates, the first fresh install presents challenges :(:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Details? Does it have Internet access so it can download the package?
It has been a long time since I setup my system, but I don't think that I had to install nano. I thought it was already in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

melloa

Wizard
Chris,

Details? Does it have Internet access so it can download the package?

Yeap, it does.

Code:
root@freenas:/mnt/mydata/cifs # ping yahoo.com
PING yahoo.com (98.138.219.231): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 98.138.219.231: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=57.506 ms
64 bytes from 98.138.219.231: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=57.381 ms

I saw errors before when there was a version mismatch, but that seems different:

I'm about to fetch all, unpack, and test tat way, if I don't have any other ideas ;)

It has been a long time since I setup my system, but I don't think that I had to install nano. I thought it was already in there.

You know what? I assumed it wasn't, but the new FN based on FB 11.x seems to have it ... so no need to install to do my editing :cool:

[]

Were you actually running the command pkg upgrade in the FreeNAS host? :eek:

Anyway, another editor that comes with the base system is ee. See also this resource.

melloa

Wizard
Were you actually running the command pkg upgrade in the FreeNAS host? :eek:

Anyway, another editor that comes with the base system is ee. See also this resource.

Did to test, after be unable to install a software. :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Did to test, after be unable to install a software. :D
You must keep in mind that FreeNAS is not just FreeBSD. It has been modified to be an appliance and it is not supposed to be able to install packages because it is not supposed to be modified. In fact, many configuration changes made from the command line will not survive a reboot. All configuration is supposed to be done from the GUI.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

melloa

Wizard
@Chris Moore - That's correct.
@MrToddsFriends - Thanks, will check it, but with nano there I'm happy.

Regarding the samba export issue, I think the issue was caused when I didn't select Windows as permission type, as after deleting all and recreating this time using windows as type, it worked without the need of making changes from the workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.