BUILD Pimp my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodur

Cadet
Or rather, don't pimp my build. Help me refine it with your expertise and experience. I am looking to make a home grade NAS for storage, backups, movies, and such. At this point input on the parts and any cost cutting suggestions would be great, although I'm not too sure any exist because most of the cost is in the storage.

EDIT:
A Link to my EDITED build.

Last edited:

snaptec

Guru
Standard anwsers in Short If you would like to not loose data:
Use ecc ram
Don't use kingston RAM
Don't use raidz1
Buy 6 disks and use raidz2

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Dice

Wizard

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I intend to run 5 drives in a raid 5 setup.
RAID-5 doesn't exist in ZFS; it's roughly analogous to RAID-Z1 -- which is not recommended for large drives (1TB or larger).

For this reason, @snaptec's suggestion to use 6 disks in a RAID-Z2 vdev is a good one.

Brodur

Cadet
RAID-5 doesn't exist in ZFS; it's roughly analogous to RAID-Z1 -- which is not recommended for large drives (1TB or larger).

For this reason, @snaptec's suggestion to use 6 disks in a RAID-Z2 vdev is a good one.
Thanks to Dice's linked manual, I am now aware of just how noobish I am, but thank you for pointing this out anyhow. So I changed my build a bit after some reading and here it is now. So it would do RaidZ2, and I changed the mobo and processor, as well as scratched the Kingston memory off and put in some crucial. I would however like a lower cost, as $1500 before shipping and taxes is a bit more than I'd like to spend. Any cost cutting measures are now open to the floor... although I'm not sure what else could be done without dropping capacity of the NAS. I cut out the hot-swap rack already, as the case I have has enough bays to support the drives without it.

Stux

MVP
$560 build without storage.

Pretty optimal for a nice build I think.

Guess the best thing to do is look for a great price on drives.

6 drives in Z2 is definitely the way to go.

You could possibly get away with a smaller psu.

Brodur

Cadet
Ideally I'd like a PSU of ~350W, but I am not familiar enough with PSUs to know which brand/model to go with for a machine that will be on almost constantly.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Brodur said:
Ideally I'd like a PSU of ~350W, but I am not familiar enough with PSUs to know which brand/model to go with for a machine that will be on almost constantly.
350W may be a little undersized; there is a good article here about power supply sizing.

Seasonic is a popular brand here on the forum; I'm partial to the EVGA units myself.

Brodur

Cadet
350W may be a little undersized; there is a good article here about power supply sizing.

Seasonic is a popular brand here on the forum; I'm partial to the EVGA units myself.
After reading the article, I've swapped my PSU to a G-550 for the same price as the one I had in the build anyhow.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I have the G-550 in my main unit and it has been running like a champ. I can't really speak to its longevity as I have only had it for <6 months but it came highly recommended and has not let me down yet.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
For just $10-20 more you can ditch the Celeron and get a Pentium instead.

Dice

Wizard
The edited system looks to be a solid "low budget done right" build.

Dice

Wizard
I can relate to that. x))

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thanks, now I just need to save up willpower to pull the trigger.
buy-it.jpg

Brodur

Cadet
Don't know if I should make a new topic for this or not, but I'll try here first. UPS: Thoughts, options, trusted brands? I live in a rural area adjacent to an industrial park, which shares it's power grid with us, so power is very reliable, but if I were to get a UPS for this build, what should it be?
Here are a few I found on newegg in a palatable price range:
CyberPower Intelligent LCD CP750LCD 750 VA 420 Watts 8 Outlets UPS
APC Back-UPS BE550G-CN 550 VA 330 Watts 8 Outlets UPS
APC BE550G Back-UPS 550 VA 8-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
CyberPower Home/Office CP685AVR 685VA 390W 4 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected
CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series CP825LCD 825 VA 450 Watts

nojohnny101

Wizard
I have the APC BR1000G and it is solid. Setting up yo interface with FreeNAS was self-explanatory and everything works like it should.

Since you seem to have a super reliable power grid, I wouldn't worry about the battery size being large, you just need something that will be able to absorb the spikes and dips. and shut the FreeNAS server down when it stays off for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.