pihole in Docker using Truenas Scale guide unable to get IP or run with Host Networking

DaSnipe

Explorer
Did you install the official Pihole or the TrueCharts one. The Truecharts one has the defaults for DNS (port 53) but the official pihole chart uses different ports so you have to configure your devices differently. Also it's not good practice to revive a 6 month old post if you're using defaults and not getting it to work, just start a new thread
Having the same issue, installed with default settings with no luck, can't figure out how to direct devices to pihole so that it will recieve the queries.

lashmahan80

Cadet
Sorry, new to participating in this forum. Also new to truenas and in depth networking, so pardon any ignorance in the question.

Installed the Truecharts one. It's up and running, I can access the web gui. When directing my devices (either a windows PC or my router) it seems to only give me the option for a basic IP address (no port) for the DNS address. If I just use the IP for the Truenas Scale, How does TrueNAS scale know where to send those queries to Pihole? I'm certian what I need is a simple fix, I just can't find it.

DaSnipe

Explorer
Sorry, new to participating in this forum. Also new to truenas and in depth networking, so pardon any ignorance in the question.

Installed the Truecharts one. It's up and running, I can access the web gui. When directing my devices (either a windows PC or my router) it seems to only give me the option for a basic IP address (no port) for the DNS address. If I just use the IP for the Truenas Scale, How does TrueNAS scale know where to send those queries to Pihole? I'm certian what I need is a simple fix, I just can't find it.
If you've done everything correctly, the pi-hole chart (through Kubernetes) will respond to queries sent to your TrueNAS IP and then forward it to the DNS you've setup inside Pi-Hole, for example

1655644458735.png
No ports or anything needed.

1655644632067.png

Hope this helps!

lashmahan80

Cadet
I must have missed something in the initial setup settings. When I direct my devices to the IP of my truenas box, it does not forward to pihole.

The default setup in TrueNAS Sc. does not have any DNS settings like many of the tutorials I've watched, must be a newer version of TrueNAS. It has a section to add Configured DNS options, but nothing is there on default. In tutorials I've seen they add DNS info on the install, but I didn't have the option to do that.

If anything jumps out at you as to why it isn't working, let me know. Either way, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Here is a screenshot of my TrueNAS Sc. edit application field:

Pihole Edit Settings in TN 3.png

Here are two screenshots of the DNS & DHCP fields in the Pihole instance

Pihole DNS Settings.png

Pihole Edit Settings in TN 4.png

DaSnipe

Explorer
You’re not using TrueCharts, you’re using the regular Pi-Hole, you need to add #20271 to your TrueNAS IP.
I must have missed something in the initial setup settings. When I direct my devices to the IP of my truenas box, it does not forward to pihole.

The default setup in TrueNAS Sc. does not have any DNS settings like many of the tutorials I've watched, must be a newer version of TrueNAS. It has a section to add Configured DNS options, but nothing is there on default. In tutorials I've seen they add DNS info on the install, but I didn't have the option to do that.

If anything jumps out at you as to why it isn't working, let me know. Either way, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Here is a screenshot of my TrueNAS Sc. edit application field:

View attachment 56225

Here are two screenshots of the DNS & DHCP fields in the Pihole instance

View attachment 56226

View attachment 56227
y’ire

lashmahan80

Cadet
You’re not using TrueCharts, you’re using the regular Pi-Hole, you need to add #20271 to your TrueNAS IP.

y’ire
You are right, I was installing the official charts version, not truecharts. I meant to install truecharts and didn't realize that wasn't the one. Switched to Truecharts and it worked just like it was supposed to. Thank you so much, I had given up and just installed pihole on my old RPi1. Now have it consolodated to TrueNAS like I wanted. Thanks again.

d1gz0r

Dabbler
Hello,

I have PiHole on my truenas SCALE. I had exactly the same error than you but I fix it, I hope this will help you:

In red : a free IP
View attachment 48518
In red : the same IP
View attachment 48519

In red : free port >= 9000
View attachment 48520

You need to access at your Pihole like that:
View attachment 48521

In your router:
View attachment 48522

In result ;) :
View attachment 48515

JenJen
I have followed this steps and the PiHole doesn't work. I have also lost access to TrueNAS dashboard. Have no idea how to connect to it now...
Guess this solutions is out of date.

DaSnipe

Explorer
I have followed this steps and the PiHole doesn't work. I have also lost access to TrueNAS dashboard. Have no idea how to connect to it now...
Guess this solutions is out of date.
Yeah it's a year old and if you lost access to the TrueNAS dashboard you must've change some other settings outside of creating the app, anyways I'd use the TrueCharts one now

d1gz0r

Dabbler
Update:
Installed a TrueCharts version again on a fresh TrueNAS Scale install and it just worked.
So far reinstalling solved 100% of my issues.

heisian

Dabbler
Thanks everyone and sorry for perpetuating the resurrection of this thread. After newly upgrading from TrueNAS CORE to SCALE last week, I had no idea that I'm not supposed to use the PiHole app from the default charts repository (https://github.com/truenas/charts.git) that is present post-upgrade.. however thanks to this thread I now know I can add the TrueCharts catalog (https://github.com/truecharts/catalog) and use the PiHole installation from there.

Did I miss some documentation somewhere? I'm wondering why TrueCharts isn't the default catalog for SCALE?