Pictures of ESXi Freenas VM settings

John Doe

Guru
Can someone post some screenshots of all settings made in ESXi 6.7 for Freenas VM?

Would like to compare it to mine. Have some strange behavior by coping files

John Doe

Guru
pics
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

Last edited:

John Doe

Guru
problem is that in windows, when I copy files, the explorer freezes for some seconds.

Havent had this behavior when freenas was running on bare metal

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 616

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
So you have 2 CPUs, 40GB RAM, and your HBA is passed through as a PCI device; that's a good start.

What's the configuration of the underlying pool with the SMB share? If you're copying from another VM over SMB that's attached to the same vSwitch, you'll effectively be copying at the maximum speed of your system (assuming VMXNET drivers are working) rather than any simulated line-speed, so you could easily be hitting write throttling here whereas with bare metal the line speed might be a less intrusive bottleneck first.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What about trying 1 CPU, 2 cores? (mine is 1 CPU, 4 cores)

klatoszy

Dabbler
I also have AIO where FreeNAS runs inside ESXi 6.7. The only difference I see is that I have "Latency Sensitivity" set to "High" in FreeNAS VM advanced options. In my case I have 12GB of RAM and 2x3,5GHz cores assigned to FreeNAS. On Win10 VM running the same ESXi host I easily get 3 Gbps SMB transfers. On bare metal Windows 10 client - 1Gbe network is bottleneck.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Doe

Guru
What's the configuration of the underlying pool with the SMB share?

not too sure if I got your question right. it is 6 discs as raidZ2

basically I do not move such big data between the VMs. this AIO system is really just providing data to Clients outside of esxi

@klatoszy I red somewhere that I can assign priority for the VMs, so in case of high workload, esxi can give resources to vm you defined. not sure if I have ever been in this situation.

@sretella thanks for bringing this up, I will try it next weekend.

klatoszy

Dabbler
In my case main role of FreeNAS is to share back storage via ISCSI to ESXi host. This is why I configured "Latency Sensitivity"="High". With such settings I never had performace problems neither with ISCSI nor with SMB.