Phone backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfran1990

Patron
i want to build a Phone Backup SMB share so i can use an app to backup my DCIM folder on my phone which has all my pictures taken from my phone.

i know i need to create a phonebackup dataset inside my main NAS pool.(which is totally different from my main //freenas/SHARE, mapped drive)

i then need to create users that belong inside the Phonebackup group.

i want to make it so each user has a home directory that they can copy/sync/move data to and from.

i want to edit permissions so that each user can only make changes to there data in there home directory and cant go into another users home directory at all.(no reading,writing or viewing)

i feel like this is a very basic concept for freenas, but after spending some time messing around with it i have not been able toi get it working right.

if someone could help me out or recommend a guide that would be appreciated.

cdiddy

Dabbler

tfran1990

Patron
Ok cool thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tfran1990

Patron
I got all my permissions set up for my smb. now i just need a method of sending receiving files remotely.

what are the best options? SFTP?FTPS Vpn in and make the transfer local?

i have tried to setup a openvpn server on my raspberry pi with stunnel4 but i ran into some connection issues. the openvpn forum has not seem to be any help.
The guide i used is here http://www.farrellf.com/projects/so...PN_Server_with_OpenVPN_and_Stunnel/index_.php

cdiddy

Dabbler
I installed openvpn in a jail on my freenas server. It worked really well. Then I just used ES File Explorer on my phone to copy files and folders between phone/server. ES can connect to a network share, so once I was connected to openvpn it was basically like copying from one folder to another.

I don't know how this would work from an iPhone, I don't think they have what we traditionally think of as file browsers, but I'm not an iOS guy so don't ask me.

Setting up openvpn required forwarding a port on the isp-supplied router/modem, and some firewall rules on freenas, and it took me a while to get it working... LOTS of forum threads read thoughroughly and experimenting. I recently lost my jails because I didn't have them backed up properly so am starting over and don't have it working yet.

I know spending hours/days combing forums and trying things isn't very appealing, but if you find an easy way I'd sure like to hear it!

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel why not just install Syncthing?

Set it up on the phone as the master (send only) and set the server to send/receive and then set a simple versioning system on the server so that if a picture or other file is deleted on the phone even though it will propagate to the server the server will just drop it into the .stversions folder until a certain time period has passed or you manually remove them.

You can set syncthing to always run, run only on wifi, run only when plugged in, manually, etc.

I have been using this system for a couple years now and it has never failed me yet. I actually had a phone die on me and then used syncthing to restore everything to my phone automatically by allowing the phone to receive until everything was back and then set it to master again. No need to attempt setting a vpn, manually connect and transfer no port forwarding required but it does increase the speed as it does not rely on relays and the traffic is secured as well.

As far as the jails, snapshots work wonders. Set them to automatically run at certain intervals and keep them for a certain time period. Mess a jail up and just restore it. I actually did just this with an auto update script that ran once a week. The day before it would run the jails would snapshot so that if I had an issue I could roll back without a problem. I also make sure that I store things that are not a direct part of the jail, for instance my mobile photo's outside of the jail and they also have snapshots done on a regular basis.

tfran1990

Patron
ok i might have to look into that. do you know of a good guide i could use?
i have not done anything with jails yet but i assume its not too difficult.

diskdiddler

Wizard
FolderSync is good at this over SMB - mine scheduled nightly 3am, only when charging only on wifi.

ok i might have to look into that. do you know of a good guide i could use?
i have not done anything with jails yet but i assume its not too difficult.

Go to the "Plugin" section, install Syncthing and start it up, add storage and configure in Syncthing, install Syncthing from the store and configure, link devices. Once you start doing it it's super simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.