Permissions hell

Octopuss

Patron
I deleted my previous thread because it wasn't relevant anymore and would only confuse things futher.

I have /mnt/pool1/media dataset.
There is a NFS share created for that.
Permissions of the dataset:
1611070378292.png

I have Ubuntu server machine connecting to that share that runs qbittorrent-nox (it has its own user of the same name).
The share is mounted as /mnt/NASmedia.
User on the machine is octopuss, with the same id as on the NAS. I also created group media with the same id as on the NAS. Furthermore, I added group media for both octopuss and qbittorrent-nox users.

I can't write to certain folders from the Ubuntu machine, which is even more puzzling than if I couldn't write anywhere, because the permissions should be the same.
Anyway, this is how the permissions look on one file I have the most problems with:
1611070735430.png

This makes no sense to me, especially why the group id is completely different. I went to the permissions on the NAS side and repeatedly forced user and group recursively so all files are the same. The real id of media group is 8675309, so why it shows like this on the Ubuntu machine is beyond what I can understand.
Not sure why owner is nobody.

Looking at the access part of the screen I can see that I would probably fix everything by checking write on the "other" line, but I feel like that's not a proper solution. There is a problem somewhere I want to identify.

Does anyone have any idea?

Octopuss

Patron
I have now logged directly into the NAS's shell and checked permissions of the same folder, and WTF?
1611071282028.png

Why are there no permissions?

edit: I cleared some/all of the access checkboxes, saved it and they are back. What is this? Am I missing anything?
edit2: I seem to be able to clear all but whichever one on the owner line (that makes sense?), but there are still no changes to the permissions of the file in question.

Last edited:

Octopuss

Patron
Well, I managed to solve the permissions side of things with this monologue, but it's still WTF.
I have no idea whether I ran into a bug in 12-U1 or not, but it seems like the access checkboxes weren't being applied at all. I had to uncheck everything I could first, recursively apply and save, and then check them back and recursively save. Unchecking them all at once didn't do anything and they kept being checked. What the heck...

Unfortunately, the problem still persists:
- Interestingly, even though the problematic file now has all the permissions, the torrent client still says access denied.
- The group id is still wrong.

I call voodoo on this.

sretalla