permissions for one volume, multiple users

Status
Not open for further replies.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hey everyone,
I'm so happy that I chose to build a freenas machine as opposed to others solely based on this awesome support community! I've already received a lot of help and it has been fantastic!

I've got my setup all up and running and now and going to start opening it up to multiple users who are in different locations (different networks) to share the same "volume".

I've read through the documentation multiple times and have also searched online but I was wondering if someone on here could either point me in the direction of material or answer my question about how to set this up.

I know this is probably easy but I haven't been able to figure out how to have multiple people have "write" permission to a particular "dataset". That is the proper setup isn't it? To have one volume and then divide it up into datasets? I obviously have my person things which are on one dataset but I haven't figured out the proper settings to put for the other dataset I have created that I want multiple people to access.

particularly the "owner (user) and owner (group)" settings for the dataset. Whatever I put in those fields it seems it only grants one person access, despite all the users trying to access belonging to the group that I specify. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

You may have to go to the command line and see what a ls -l of the directories in question show as the group and owner. It's more than likely not the owner and group you think it should be.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
You want to make your users members of the group that have been granted rights. That way you can say have a group called "Accounting", the "Accounting" group is the owner (group). So if users "Bob" and "Joe" are members of the "Accounting" group they would have rights based on group membership.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hello,
Thank for both of your replies. Yes this is the logic that I followed or understood as well, that as long as those people were members of that group, the group given read and write permission within the group settings, then they should be able to read and write. Not the case though, it only seems to allow the user specified in the "user (owner)" setting of the dataset.

I'll check ls -la and see what it says.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hey guys,
So I am having a lot of problems understanding permissions. I have been trying to do a lot of reading and following the instructions in this post to the "t", as I have a very similar setup.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ups-wheel-nogroup-etc-shell-csh-scponly.2544/

I am having multiple problems. In this example, I have the user "me" and "anotherperson".

I don't want user "anotherperson" to be able to mount a drive called "me". I don't want them to even see it. The owner of the drive "me" is set to user "me" and group "wheel". When "anotherperson" opens an SSH with their public key, then afp mounts through the localhost, they get a list an option to mount all the drives that have been created (including the personal one for user "me")

here are the settings:
drives
me - permissions - (owner)user:(owner)group = me:nogroup
anotherperson - permissions - (owner)user:(owner)group = anotherperson:nogroup

groups
family - members=me, anotherperson

users
me - primary group = wheel & auxiliary groups = family; homedirectory = me
another person - primary group = nogroup & auxiliary groups = family; homedirectory = anotherperson

with this setup, why is "anotherperson" able to mount the drive "me"?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hello
Well I wanted to report back after figuring it out for documenting it for future people.

I ended up starting from scratch and set the following permission for the following users in the example above:

I have attached the screenshots for what settings ended up working for me. I also forcefully rebooted the server after all changes were made to make sure they stuck.

Settings for dataset "Me"

me.png

Settings for dataset "another person"

anotherperson.png

Everything seems to be working fine for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.