permissions for cloned dataset from replication server

mvcad

Contributor
Hi all,
I want to access a windows share for a cloned dataset from a replication snapshot. so from my replication server, I clone a snapshot to a new dataset. I create a user and assign it as owner of the cloned dataset.
I create a Windows share of the dataset but when I try to access it from my windows PC it says I do not have the permissions. Any help would be appreciated.

Note the same process worked fine from the main server.
Also I can access the files with ssh with the new user created. Its just the windows share that does not work.
I am not using active directory. Only Truenas users.

*EDIT: I am accessing my main server and the replication server through an OpenVPN server from the modem

Last edited:

mvcad

Contributor
Well, it looks like my problem has nothing to do with being a clone of a replication snapshot. I just created a brand new dataset, assign a user as owner, created a windows share but still have the same error "

Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.51\Misc

You do not have permission to access \\192.168.0.51\Misc. Contact your network administrator to request access.

My Replication server has this hardware: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3530 @ 2.80GHz; 24GB DDR3 RAM (No ECC) 3x 4.0TB RED WD drives 1 HDD redundancy for an 8TB Pool. I built it from an old HP 820 Workstation.

This is how I set up the permissions:
1694918938825.png

And these are the settings for the Windows share:
1694919025920.png

Note that I have no issues accessing the main server. its just the repliation server that I cannot access it through a windows share.

I would be tempted to create a new user and group on the box and setup a new dataset. This would rule out any local user/group issues. On your new dataset leave owners to root and wheel and just have one simple ACE for group and select your new group. Make sure to assign your new user to your new group and give that a try.

mvcad

Contributor
I would be tempted to create a new user and group on the box and setup a new dataset. This would rule out any local user/group issues. On your new dataset leave owners to root and wheel and just have one simple ACE for group and select your new group. Make sure to assign your new user to your new group and give that a try.
Thanks for your time, however I am still having the same issue after following your steps. I wonder if somehow my IP has been blocked. Is there any way to check that?