Permanent changes to rc.conf (tuneable?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d brown

Dabbler
My understanding is that the rc.conf file is set on each boot, therefore any changes that i make will be removed if the machine re-boots, is this correct?

I found the following from last year re. changes to rc.conf [post-70169] and reference to rc.conf editing in the GUI [bugs 3051]. But this does not help in confirming whether it is possible to make permanent changes or not at this stage.

This is a follow on to trying to get USB device passed through to a jail hosting VirtualBox, the method noted in this freebsd forum post [How to mount devfs in a jails/chroot]

jail_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"

or for specific jail 'foo' (yes?)

jail_foo_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_foo_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"

However this would appear to be all devices in devfs rather than specific devices, although that may come from however rules are defined in /etc/devfs.rules

Another similar question on the freeBSD forum [chmod USB device?] but no follow up on method successful or not.

Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with any *nix syntax and system topology to do other than cook-book implementation, any further ideas? as it seems that rc.etc may not be the best method for usb as it can be a dynamic connection.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, it's not possible. You can add tunables per the WebGUI, but other than that editing the rc.conf isn't going to work out how you hope.

As the person that is responsible for creating the virtualbox template you are using, if you aren't an expert user you aren't going to be able to setup USB passthrough. As you admitted that you can't do much other that cook-book implementations I'd recommend you give up the attempt and wait for USB to actually be supported fully rather then trying yourself. Not that there isn't some value in trying, even if you know you will fail. But if you are strictly working for USB passthrough your chances of getting it working are quite low. ;)

d brown

Dabbler
fair enough, you've done a good job with the virtualbox implementation so far, straightforward to assign, and get a OS up and running, I will be following your progress with interest.

I'm just trying to make the most of freenas supermicro machine as it'll be unattended for months and i can IPMI in via vpn rather than the consumer box, which just has vnc and crossed fingers.

cheers,

alttab

Dabbler
Does someone have a hint or tip for getting usb passthrough working? It worked for me on that other nas system, but i like freenas better.
Or maybe an eta for the fix?

Allready tried setting the permissions like described in https://code.google.com/p/nas4free-extensions/wiki/VirtualBox_USB , did not help unfortunately.

Thanks anyway, for the user friendly implementation of the jail!

alttab

Dabbler
And all the sudden it works... at the end ' chmod 777 /dev/usb/* ' from within the virtualbox jail fixed the issue.

After a reboot of the jail it reverts , so need to start this command on startup of the jail.
Any suggestions are welcome to fix this permanently.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
You can create an rc script and add it to your rc.conf file.
Read this link for more information on how to do it.

Whattteva

Wizard
that will not survive an update...
Why wouldn't it? your jail is the one that has to run it, no? Your jail lives in your pool, it WILL survive an update.

And all the sudden it works... at the end ' chmod 777 /dev/usb/* ' from within the virtualbox jail fixed the issue.

After a reboot of the jail it reverts , so need to start this command on startup of the jail.
That post seems to indicate it is run within the jail... unless I'm reading it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.