Perl-support on FreeNAS 8.0.2 for rsyncbackup

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasman77

Cadet
Hi there,

has anyone managed to get perl working on FreeNAS 8.0.2?
I'd like to use the rsyncbackup-script on my FreeNAS, but it's based on Perl, which is not (officially) supported on the system...
Any help appreciated!
Maybe someone knows another script with the same features, which is running on FreeNAS? It should be used for daily/weekly/monthly incremental backups using hardlinks.

ProtoSD

MVP
Have you tried just installing the pkg?

I thought you realized the implications of installing packages to the flash drive? Also Perl has a lot of dependencies so its even more likely to fill up the flash drive.

@nasman77

This is not the best solution. I would like to have perl also, but this isn't the solution. One possibility is if you have a UFS partition, 8.0x allows you to map it to a system partition which would give you more space (not on your flash drive) to install it. There's another hack I haven't explored, the link is in German, but you can translate it with Google Translate. Here it is if you want to take a look, you'll need to scroll down the page some to see where it is described:

http://www.apfeltalk.de/forum/freenas-8-0-a-t363353.html

nasman77

Cadet
Yes, I already tried pkg_install perl, but it's conflicting with the default installed (broken) version of perl.
Regarding the available space, I can increase the available size of the installation drive, as I'm not using flash but a separate harddisk (currently 2 GB) on a ESXi host for testing.

I just registered that there's already another script, ready for use on FreeNAS:
http://blog.hani-ibrahim.de/de/automatisches-backup-von-freenas.html
:)
This should achieve the same as the rsyncbackup, only problem :confused:, how can I mount a NFS share on startup of FreeNAS, so I can work with that script (does only support local shares/paths not remote shares)?
Edited fstab is lost after reboot...

ProtoSD

MVP
Regarding the available space, I can increase the available size of the installation drive, as I'm not using flash but a separate harddisk (currently 2 GB) on a ESXi host for testing.

This is better than having to reflash if your drive gets full, but the problem still exists with the size limit because the partition size is compiled into the FreeNAS image, you can change it if you recompile. It's also possible if you are familiar enough with FreeBSD to use sysinstall to resize your partition, but I haven't tried this so I don't know how FreeNAS will handle things.

The link you posted above is for FreeNAS 7 and is almost 3 years old, so it's not really suited for FreeNAS 8 which is completely re-written and maintained by a whole new group of developers.

how can I mount a NFS share on startup of FreeNAS, so I can work with that script (does only support local shares/paths not remote shares)?
Edited fstab is lost after reboot...

You can edit /conf/base/etc/fstab which is preserved and used to recreate /etc/fstab on reboot. I'm not sure if NFS is started soon enough to do that, and also if FreeNAS has an NFS client.

nasman77

Cadet
You can edit /conf/base/etc/fstab which is preserved and used to recreate /etc/fstab on reboot. I'm not sure if NFS is started soon enough to do that, and also if FreeNAS has an NFS client.

Hm, editing this file fails:
Code:
Error: /conf/base/etc/fstab: Read-only file system.

A NFS client is there - no problem mounting the NFS share manually, and the script is working too, so only the problem with automatically mounting the share remains..

nasman77

Cadet
Thanks for that fast reply, the NFS mount it working now! :smile:
Still the cron job in FreeNAS does not start, but I'll check that tomorrow.
Manually started via CLI it's running fine...

louisk

Patron
I thought you realized the implications of installing packages to the flash drive? Also Perl has a lot of dependencies so its even more likely to fill up the flash drive.

I realize its not too unreasonable an assumption, but the op didn't say they were running on a flash drive. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.