FTP, perl, cron

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnas

Dabbler
I am brand-new to FreeNAS but having good luck so far. I've managed to get it working as a target for Apple Time Machine, as well as setting up some CIFS shares. Now I'm on to a slightly more complicated issue and would appreciate some guidance.

I've got a few panasonic IP security cams and would like to have them ftp images to my FreeNAS box. I'm quite sure I can add a user and ftp service to accomplish this. However, I currently use a (cron-ed) perl script to do post-processing, including pruning the images after 30 days and deleting them entirely at a later date. I see that perl doesn't seem to be included as part of the FreeNAS base. So my question is, assuming I setup ftp for a dataset on the box, how can I install perl and maybe a few other utilities so I can cron up a post-process script? For one thing I'm not really sure where to install these things since the available space on the boot volume seems quite small. Could someone help point me in the right direction? Another item I'd like to install is emacs so I can edit scripts, cronfiles, etc. locally on the box– I don't do vi.

solarisguy

Guru
Create a jail with FreeBSD (or Linux if your infrastructure was developed there) and do everything there.

As the first step, you will point storage of your jail(s) to your main storage volume. That takes care of the space limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.