Performance penalties witrh advanced power management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
Hello all,

So I have a couple of questions about the advanced power management options. What are the performance penalties for using them? HDD standby is ON, but what happens if I want to enable spin-down? Dow I lose performance, or does it just get a bit laggy once I try to access something for the first time in hours?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Few people around here actually use those options, so the data we have is somewhat limited.

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
Fair enough. Well, all I have is a home server so it's not entirely necessary (although nice for non-NAS drives) I will play around with it and see what happens.

Although, are those options supposed to work the same way RAID cards manage their power? Wouldn't that be a nice basis for a comparison?

mjws00

Guru
The real issue is, that on single pool systems, FreeNAS will write to the .system dataset and keep the drives live whether you want them to spin down or not. So you have to go through an number of extra steps to actually accomplish this. I believe there is also a bug in the spindown code that FreeNasBob noticed with respect to ataidle. Namely /conf/base/etc/rc.conf does not get updated correctly from the config db, so changes do not persist across reboots. Pretty sure it was never fixed, but maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.