Peer review of a FreeNAS beginners guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleFester

Explorer
Hello to you all.

I am a FreeNAS noob who is in the process of writing a complete beginners guide for FreeNAS.
My original intention was to write the guide for myself as an aide-memoire.
However the thing has grown enormously and I am beginning to think other FreeNAS beginners may benefit from it, so my intention is to make it freely available to all when it is finished.
As you are no doubt aware the internet can at times be awash with uninformed and erroneous information. I do not want to add to that.
Therefore, are there any FreeNAS experts out there who would be prepared to peer review a FreeNAS guide?
Ideally I am looking for someone who could first and foremost check the information is correct and to offer advice as to how the guide could be made better.
I am about a week away from finishing it if all goes well.
The guide at the moment is about 90 pages long, but most of that is formed by screen shots.
So if you are a FreeNAS expert and you have some time to spare let me know.
Thanks.

Uncle Fester.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PM me a link and I'll be happy to take a look.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Start a new conversation:

upload_2016-4-26_11-54-22.png

Glorious1

Guru
The guide at the moment is about 90 pages long, but most of that is formed by screen shots.
Sounds like a lot of work! Although I think highly of the official FreeNAS user guide, something like this can be helpful because it is written from a newcomer's perspective, which is hard to do for an expert. The sad thing is, when they come out with FreeNAS 10, everything will look and work differently, making it somewhat obsolete.

Glorious1

Guru

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The interface is going to change massively, but the general concepts won't.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The interface is going to change massively, but the general concepts won't.

That's not necessarily true. Some concepts are changing. I'm not at liberty to say much more though. Sorry. :/

If you can get the guide out in the next month or so, it's probably worth doing. But it will likely have to be rewritten to a large degree to work with FreeNAS 10. ;)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That's not necessarily true. Some concepts are changing. I'm not at liberty to say much more though. Sorry. :/

If you can get the guide out in the next month or so, it's probably worth doing. But it will likely have to be rewritten to a large degree to work with FreeNAS 10. ;)

Yeah, I've heard cowsay features prominently in FreeNAS 10.

DiViDeR

Dabbler
As a fellow noob, I look forward to reading your guide ;)

UncleFester

Explorer
Hello to you all,

I am about 24-48 hours away from finishing a FreeNAS 9.10 guide for complete beginners. I have a little more to do and then I need to proof read it and make corrections.

It has turned into a mammoth task and frankly I am sorry I ever started it.

Ericloewe has agreed to peer review the guide but is very busy with other commitments and has not had much time to have a look at it.
He still wants to be involved with the guide but is also quite happy if other experts become involved.

Therefore, I was wondering are there any FreeNAS experts out there who would be prepared to peer review a FreeNAS guide when it is finished?

Ideally I am looking for someone who could first and foremost check the information is correct and to offer advice as to how the guide could be made better.

The guide at the moment is about 230 pages long, but most of that is formed by screen shots.

So if you are a FreeNAS expert and you have some time to spare let me know.

Thanks.

Uncle Fester.

Sakuru

Guru
I would love to take a look at it :)

DiViDeR

Dabbler
As above, I could look at it from a beginner's perspective, if that helps ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.