[PATCH] Faster software AES-XTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

freenas-0x7f

Cadet
Hi,

I'm running FreeNAS 9.10 w/ a Xeon 3450 w/o AES-NI. I'm using GELI to encrypt my drives. I was experiencing high CPU during big transfers, and throughput was subpar. While software crypto will never be as fast as crypto w/ AES-NI, I was still surprised. Running benchmark w/ openssl gave more than 300MB/s per thread, so w/ 8 thread, software crypto should never have been a bottleneck.

Then I tested gzero.eli
Code:
geli onetime -s 4096 -l 128 -e aes-xts gzero
I got a mere 60MB/s... So I investigated, found some issues w/ FreeBSD crypto, nothing I could fix quickly. However, I found a patch that was meant to speed up the AES-NI module, that could be applied to the software crypto module, that was a low hanging fruit.

I ported the change into the crypto module ran some tests w/ gzero.eli (on FreeBSD 10.3 VM, on a faster computer) => Before patch: 79 MB/S, After patch: 112MB/S

I also tested the correctness by writing/reading an ISO image to an encrypted image and computing the checksum.

---

Now I would like to test on my main setup (I'm was testing in a VM) and push this patch into FreeNAS.

1. Testing: FreeNAS compile the crypto module statically into the kernel so I can't load my patch into my NAS kernel. Could someone provide clear instruction on where to download FreeNAS kernel source and how to compile the exact version I'm running. I would rebuilt a FreeNAS w/ crypto as a dynamic module.
  2. Anyone interested in pushing this investigation further? We are far from what we can achieve with those processors. Any ideas?
  3. Could I get help from the developer to integrate this into FreeNAS and upstream FreeBSD?
I include a tar.gz with my patch and the compiled "patched" crypto module (for objdump only, load at your own peril).

Attachments

• fast-xts.tar.gz
    187.5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
J

jpaetzel

Oh, I see what you are saying, you applied the concepts in that patch to the software module. Submit a pull request and I'll include it.

Status
Not open for further replies.