password rejected on MacOS 10.8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mircsicz

Dabbler
Hi all,

I've been a user of the old 0.7 release, then my NAS broke and I left it... Worked with FW800 Disk's in the meantime!

On Friday I bought a HP N54L, they are currently at 230€ in Germany!!!

Installed 8.3.1 created a new RAID Z1 with four 1,5TB Disk's two from the same production charge and two different one's...

Now I want my MacBook-Pro to use it for TM-Backup's, so I created a share, checked the recover as TM-Drive box and go to System-Settings on my Mac. It find's the drive and ask's for my passwd but give's me an error:

Time Machine couldn't access the Backup-Volume "tm-mbp-15". Couldn't finish the task (OSSStatus-Error 13.)

whilst I see this in /var/log/messages:
May 12 12:11:51 nas afpd[3850]: AFP3.3 Login by mirco
May 12 12:11:51 nas afpd[3850]: AFP logout by mirco
May 12 12:11:51 nas afpd[3850]: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF
May 12 12:11:51 nas afpd[3850]: afp_over_dsi: client logged out, terminating DSI session
May 12 12:11:51 nas afpd[3850]: AFP statistics: 0.61 KB read, 0.46 KB written

I hope one of you guys has a hint for me!

Greetz
Mircsicz

JaimieV

Guru
You probably need to set the permissions on the disk as well, to be writeable by the "mirco" user. Setting security for the share is not inherited by the filesystem, you have to do it yourself.

mircsicz

Dabbler
I did that before posting,tried again to be sure... The volume belongs to my user and a group I'm a member of.

Greetz
Mircsicz

JaimieV

Guru
When you mount the volume by hand, can you write files/folders to it okay?
I'm certain I had this problem once, and fixed it by setting up the perms so they were all one user...

Here are my settings in case it helps you.
The TM share settings are pretty much defaults. Path and TM advertisement are set, no share password, my created "timemachine" user in the "allowed" list, and only "enable .Appledouble" ticked in the items underneath "disk discovery mode". Perms are 755 for file and 644 for directories.
The TM share resides on its own dataset, where all is owned by the "timemachine" user, group "timemachine", perms 777.

I don't *think* you should need to do this, but have you tried enabling unsupported TM destinations at the Mac end? In Terminal,
Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

mircsicz

Dabbler
I've got another AFP share which I can mount manually but this one refuses to be mounted. This is what I see in the log when trying to mount it:
May 14 00:07:37 nas afpd[10292]: AFP statistics: 0.51 KB read, 0.38 KB written
May 14 00:07:40 nas afpd[10293]: AFP3.3 Login by mirco

While it takes my passwd on MacOS and ask's for a 2nd share-pass I've not set...

Changing defaults doesn't make a difference with system-settings

And my settings are the same, except that I've checked AFP-UNIX-Priv's checkbox too... But even disabling it didn't change the behavior! :-(

EDIT:
I just deleted the share and the dataset, recreated both with similar name's. The only thing different is that I didn't place a comment while creating the share. The old one had non common character's in it's comment. Seems this was the prob...

JaimieV

Guru
Delete+recreate the share was going to be my next suggestion, pleased to see you're back in business! What were the characters?

It would be good to raise a bug so the UI can be changed to forbid them in future.

mircsicz

Dabbler
And already ran my backup...

Expect it has been german ÄÖÜ's, but I'm not sure! I'ld love to support but don't wanna mess with my setup and expect it's possible to read it from an existing *.DB file... Are those file's readable by the SQLite-Editor?

Greetz
Mircsicz

P.S.: This was the comment: 'TimeMachine for my 15" MacBook-Pro'

Status
Not open for further replies.