Passthrough disk via iSCSI

azzurro

Cadet
Hi
since I'm evaluating to ditch ZFS for a HW RAID controller, I was wondering whether I could passthrough a LUN from the RAID controller directly via iSCSI, without creating a pool or a zvol on it. The iSCSI settings allow me to do so and to choose the raw disk for presenting via iSCSI, however by the initiator it is recognized as 0 bytes of size.
I'd like to keep using truenas because I like all the other functionality like comfortable GUI and performance reporting.

thx

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi
since I'm evaluating to ditch ZFS for a HW RAID controller, I was wondering whether I could passthrough a LUN from the RAID controller directly via iSCSI, without creating a pool or a zvol on it. The iSCSI settings allow me to do so and to choose the raw disk for presenting via iSCSI, however by the initiator it is recognized as 0 bytes of size.
I'd like to keep using truenas because I like all the other functionality like comfortable GUI and performance reporting.

thx
It's an unsupported configuration and so probably liable to break unexpectedly on upgrade if you get it working.