ownCloud states smbclient not installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 issues I would appreciate help with:

1. I have loaded the ownCloud 6.0.3 plugin on FreeNAS 9.1.1, and reports that the smbclient is not installed. Being fairly new to both environments, I cannot figure out how to install the smbclient. My NAS is home made, with a USB stick for bootup, and has 6x3TB drives in a RAID 5 config. 12 of the 15 available TB is shared via CIFS to my Windows domain. That all works well. But for the life of me I don't understand why the smbclient doesn't show.

2. I am trying to configure DDNS to allow access to ownCloud. Does anyone know what ports I need to pass through my firewall? I cannot locate where this may be listed or set.

Thank you for any and all help!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I have 2 issues I would appreciate help with:

1. I have loaded the ownCloud 6.0.3 plugin on FreeNAS 9.1.1, and reports that the smbclient is not installed. Being fairly new to both environments, I cannot figure out how to install the smbclient. My NAS is home made, with a USB stick for bootup, and has 6x3TB drives in a RAID 5 config. 12 of the 15 available TB is shared via CIFS to my Windows domain. That all works well. But for the life of me I don't understand why the smbclient doesn't show.

2. I am trying to configure DDNS to allow access to ownCloud. Does anyone know what ports I need to pass through my firewall? I cannot locate where this may be listed or set.

Thank you for any and all help!
you would probably need to install samba-smbclient.

tcp port 80 or 443 depending on if you're using SSL. you could have found this out with a simple Google search

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure why you'd want smb clients installed in a plugin.. you should simply be mapping from your local zpool via the WebGUI options or just using the directories inside the jail for your data. Doing SMB stuff with Owncloud sounds great in theory but you're going to be quite unhappy when it blows up in your face later.. and it WILL blow up in your face later.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure why you'd want smb clients installed in a plugin.. you should simply be mapping from your local zpool via the WebGUI options or just using the directories inside the jail for your data. Doing SMB stuff with Owncloud sounds great in theory but you're going to be quite unhappy when it blows up in your face later.. and it WILL blow up in your face later.
Lol, true. You better not be trying to mount a share from the same FreeNAS machine. It better be a share from a Windows Server.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Lol, true. You better not be trying to mount a share from the same FreeNAS machine. It better be a share from a Windows Server.

If you are trying to mount a share from a Windows Server on your network you are even more f'ed than that. Owncloud gets really irate and screws up royally when you pull the files out from under it in a smb share because you took the windows server down (or it crashed or network failure, etc.). So I'm back to the original concept that smb sharing with owncloud means you are setting yourself up for failures later that you probably don't want.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Maybe he's trying to make his life more difficult..=/

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Maybe he's trying to make his life more difficult..=/

OK, first, let's understand one thing... I may be new to ownCloud and just a bit more familiar with FreeNAS, but it's the combination which adds the difficulty. I have been in the IT industry for about 30 years, and working with PC's since the Commodore PET. As for installing the samba smbclient, is that in the FreeNAS environment? I am already running fine in that area. It's under the ownCloud plugin where I'm having issues. And as for the ports, no...a simple Google search doesn't tell you that. As a matter of fact, when I set up ownCloud under a Thecus device last week, the default ports were 21000 and 21443.

zpool/WebGUI is what I thought I'd have to use, but not certain of the syntax. I got a bit lost there. The volume I want access to is /mnt/vol1/DS1, which is formatted for my Windows files. Any help with the syntax and where to enter it is appreciated. My biggest concern is to make a change that would make my data disappear.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
OK, first, let's understand one thing... I may be new to ownCloud and just a bit more familiar with FreeNAS, but it's the combination which adds the difficulty. I have been in the IT industry for about 30 years, and working with PC's since the Commodore PET. As for installing the samba smbclient, is that in the FreeNAS environment? I am already running fine in that area. It's under the ownCloud plugin where I'm having issues. And as for the ports, no...a simple Google search doesn't tell you that. As a matter of fact, when I set up ownCloud under a Thecus device last week, the default ports were 21000 and 21443.

zpool/WebGUI is what I thought I'd have to use, but not certain of the syntax. I got a bit lost there. The volume I want access to is /mnt/vol1/DS1, which is formatted for my Windows files. Any help with the syntax and where to enter it is appreciated. My biggest concern is to make a change that would make my data disappear.
what does ownCloud have to do with port numbers, this is set by your webserver? When you accessed ownCloud locally you have should have been able to tell what port it was using; It's either in your URL bar, 80 for HTTP and not displayed in your URL bar, or 40 for HTTPS and not displayed in your URL bar.

I'm assuming you trying to access a dataset of files on your FreeNAS from ownCloud using an external mountpoint (the local option)? I suggest you instead set up your ownCloud's datadirectory to a mountpoint so that every time you delete something it doesn't have to move the file between datasets into the trash bin in ownCloud's datadirectory. This means setting up owncloud again.

After installing owncloud, setup your mountpoint into the jail (I use /mnt/files).
Then on the owncloud setup screen choose advanced and enter the path.
(This means setting up ownCloud again). This is how I explain how to do it in my guide here http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-owncloud-using-nginx-php-fpm-and-mysql.17786/

Status
Not open for further replies.