Owncloud smb/cifs external storage - sharepoint as default root folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennethW

Dabbler
Is there any way to map the external storage (SMB) as default root folder when I log in to OC?
Running Freenas 9.10.1-U2 with OC 9.1.0 in jail.

Currently i use datasets with user/group permissions to each individual user. And users are mounting their cifs share with credentials from user/pass created on freenas. Does not use domain/AD in my network. That said, I can not use symlinks or create a jail storage, because it needs to change dataset's to www:www.

Utklippstavlebilde2016-10-06221817.png

Hmm. Isn't Sharepoint a feature that you have to pay for in Owncloud? I suggest to switch to Nextcloud which has all this features as open source. It lease it works for me.

KennethW

Dabbler
Hmm. Isn't Sharepoint a feature that you have to pay for in Owncloud? I suggest to switch to Nextcloud which has all this features as open source. It lease it works for me.
Oops, typo.. should be mount point. Have you done nextcloud in a jail?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm confused why you can't use symlinks or create jail storage? Can you explain this a little more?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

KennethW

Dabbler
I'm confused why you can't use symlinks or create jail storage? Can you explain this a little more?

Because i need to have user permisson on each dataset, and OC would have www:www to get it work.

I will explain how my setup is. It may be the wrong method, so don't bite my head off, but it works very well and the users must type in their freenas username and password to mount their cifs instead of using hosts allow in samba and no auth, which is bad imo. As mentioned, i don't use domain/AD.

All this is done from freenas gui.

First thing. I create a new freenas user. Let's call him freenasuser. It also creates a new primary group, same as username.
user.jpg

Then I create a new dataset.
newdataset.jpg

Changes the dataset permission.
permissionsdataset.jpg

Creating a new samba share, cifs.
cifsshare.jpg

On windows machine we would mount the cifs and check 'connect using different credentials'-box
mapnetworkdrive.jpg

Just to show this really works I will try to logon with a another username. User 'anotheruser' does exists
on freenas.
cifsanotheruser.jpg

As expected it can't be done. It's telling me access denied.
anotheruseraccessdenied.jpg

Now if I use right username and password: Voila! I get access. It allows me to create/edit/whatever files and folders.
Clipboardimage2014-12-01192351success.png

lspermissions.jpg

But this is not the issue. OC is.
I create a jail storage to OC for user freenasuser to access the dataset.
jailstorage.jpg

I login to OC as freenasuser. No files or folder even if there exists some. And can't create new files or folders.
ocwithjailstorage.png

This isn't unfamiliar. I know OC require www:www permissions.
And this is why I can not use jail storage or symlinks to access dataset. Therefor I have to use external storage.
Utklippstavlebilde2016-10-07175032.png

Yeah it works. But the external storage shows up as a folder.
Utklippstavlebilde2016-10-07175259.png

So back to my question. How can I map the external storages, as in this case the SMB folder, to be the default root folder when I login to OC? I don't know if it's even possible.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm not answering your question but if you made a group in the OC jail that has the same gid as your freenasuser group then add www user to that group everything in OC will work as expected. You will be able to read and write files as www user.

KennethW

Dabbler
I'm not answering your question but if you made a group in the OC jail that has the same gid as your freenasuser group then add www user to that group everything in OC will work as expected. You will be able to read and write files as www user.

I will check it out

KennethW

Dabbler

I've been tested this for a bit but are struggling.

root@owncloud_1:/ # pw groupadd freenasuser -g 1007
root@owncloud_1:/ # pw groupmod freenasuser -m www
root@owncloud_1:/ # pw groupshow freenasuser
freenasuser:*:1007:www
root@owncloud_1:/ #

I also tried to add www-user to freenasuser-group outside jail.
Maybe i've missed something.

KennethW

Dabbler
Anyone?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Output of id www? Are you sure that is the user own cloud uses?

KennethW

Dabbler
I did the group setup in jail and added the jail storage one more time and now it's working, sort of. When I login to OC there is no files or dirs. If I upload or creating new files/dirs from OC I'm able to see this from my mounted cifs but not vice versa. New things from OC get permissions as www:freenasuser as expected.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I did the group setup in jail and added the jail storage one more time and now it's working, sort of. When I login to OC there is no files or dirs. If I upload or creating new files/dirs from OC I'm able to see this from my mounted cifs but not vice versa. New things from OC get permissions as www:freenasuser as expected.
I know nothing about own cloud but I think this is for it works. Owncloud only know about things added through owncloud. Maybe there is something in owncloud that can handle this?

KennethW

Dabbler
I know nothing about own cloud but I think this is for it works. Owncloud only know about things added through owncloud. Maybe there is something in owncloud that can handle this?

idk if there's some configuration in OC, haven't seen anything according to this. But thanks anyway. I might be one step further :D

KennethW

Dabbler
@Joshua Parker Ruehlig
Thanks for posting.
I do access my files inside OC when using External storage. When I use 'External storage' it appears as folder.
I would like to access directly inside the folder when I login.
Clipboardimage2016-10-18235722.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Have you tried mapping it to "/" in the external storage app?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I remember that used to work in my testing with OC version 6-7
you should ask on the owncloud forum/github. sounds like we got everything figured out except the owncloud specific part

Status
Not open for further replies.